The Broken Hearted

Change is something that’s hard to do for anyone. Especially for a well-rooted blues band branching out to straight up rock n’ roll. And especially if you’re moving your show from regular pub gigs to one of the world’s most prestigious stages. The Broken Hearted will have to do just that in a few days at the London Astoria as the winners of the Canadian leg of the world renowned Global Battle of the Bands.

If you caught them live playing at the jazz fest as Beau Kavanagh and the Broken Hearted, the change in sound might surprise you. But if you were lucky enough to have caught them on their jam nights at Brutopia on Crescent Street seeing the change would be no great shock . Feeling like they’ve conquered the blues sound, they are now reaching a little deeper into their creative souls to pull out and expose the deeply-seeded roots of their musical influences.

With this new sound there also came other changes, like shortening their name, and separating themselves from their former jazz oriented label, Justin Time Records. Even with losing long-time bassist Marc Durocher a year ago, then his successor Steve Black just a month ago Kavanagh, and drummer Matt Lavender did not give up. They just kept going, and with hard work and a little helping hand from lady luck they got back on track, adding new bassist Luca Fantigrossi to their lineup only two weeks ago. When asked about why the Beau Kavanagh was dropped out of their name, Kavanagh simply stated that he’s not the whole show anymore, Lavender and now Fantigrossi contribute as much to their new sound as he used to with the old. So it just made sense to change the name.

Kavanagh explained he met Fantigrossi through a family friend. Fantigrossi had recently stepped down from his former group Radio Broadcast, and was looking to find a new band. This couldn’t have worked out better for TBH or Fantigrossi as they had so much in common. They shared a lot of the same musical influences, and Fantigrossi wanted to be in a band that had the sound TBH tries to pursue.

Kavanagh and Lavender have had a long history together. They started to play music at the young age of 14 when Kavanagh’s father, referred to now as just Pops (who to this date can always be seen at all their live venues with a helping hand) brought home a drum set. With Kavanagh behind the guitar he already owned and Lavander picking up the sticks for the first time, they started to jam. Having such a long history, Kavanagh and Lavender became completely in tune with each other, but with the arrival of Fantigrossi, new waters needed to be treaded. Kavanagh and Lavender didn’t see this as a problem because they had so much in common musically, and Fantigrossi exuded what seemed to be a tireless dedication to the band. Fantigrossi also recently broke new ground during their last show at The Saints show bar where they opened for Bobnoxious. Kavanagh explained that during that set he really learned his own footing and truly became part of TBH.

But that wasn’t all lady luck had to offer TBH. After agreeing to play ‘The Global Battle of the Bands’ (GBOB) they were faced with a great opportunity to showcase themselves. GBOB organizes band battles – where bands showcase a couple of songs in front of a jury of music industry representatives – and the best from each regional concert goes on to compete in a national final.

Unbelievably TBH went on to win the Canadian leg of the GBOB competition. Their prize included an all expense paid trip to London to continue to the next level of the competition at the legendary London Astoria. That same stage has been graced by the likes of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Oasis and one of TBH’s biggest influences: Radiohead.

Kavanagh who was, and is, very excited to play the same venue as so many musical talents said, “It’s amazing. When I get there, I’m going to lick the stage.” Leaving the sanitary risks up to Kavanagh, this is an amazing feat for a band that is just starting to explore a new sound. But winning the contest would mean a lot more than symbolic prestige: GBOB’s grand prize is $100,000 and a world tour, an amazing leap for any of the 29 bands set to take the stage on Dec. 12. When Kavanagh commented on the grand prize he modestly said “It’s not a bad prize for a contest.”

When TBH hits the stage they don’t offer the run of the mill reproductions of their songs. They let loose and really explore the space they are provided. In the true rock n’ roll spirit, they deliver mind blowing performances. Kavanagh and Fantigrossi rip blistering solos, while Lavender commands the skins with tight and exhilarating drumming. But unfortunately they won’t be playing any new songs locally until the New Year. If you want to get a taste of what they are about, they will be appearing at Brutopia on the Dec. 8, and also for Brutopia’s New Years Eve party. But both shows are going to be without Fantigrossi, and so TBH will only be playing their older material.

Unfortunately it’s still too early to hear their new material online. They have some songs posted on their MySpace page at www.myspace.com/brokenheartedmontreal. These include “Out of Mine” and “Walls Start Talking”. Kavanagh warns however, that these are raw recordings and will most likely be changed by the time their new album comes out. TBH does urge you to visit their page to check out their “Zoolander shots”. They insisted they put the pictures up to have people laugh at them but Kavanagh also added that “the ladies seemed to like them.” So go check them out and judge for yourselves and if that isn’t enough to get you there, be sure to check in for updates on how their London performance turns out.

When you do check out their site and are wondering about their affiliation with Sam Roberts Bands (who is on their ‘Friends list’) Kavanagh proudly and laughingly said that he serves them coffee when they come to record at the studio where Kavanagh has a coffee shop and also records.

Given all the talent behind TBH and the support they are receiving locally and internationally there is little doubt that they are a force to be reckoned with. So next time you feel like just letting rock n’ roll steal your soul for an evening or just want to hear a great live band and tear up the dance floor, be sure to look up The Broken Hearted and get down to one of their shows wherever they may be playing. It’s truly an experience worth living and one you’ll want to experience again and again.

The Broken Hearted play Brutopia Dec. 8 and Dec. 31.

1219 Crescent

No cover