Quick Links:   Concordia   Montreal   Quebec   CSU   JMSB   Elections   Science   Score Report   Data   International   Protests   Arts   Music   Events   Photos   Videos   Audio   Francais

The Buzz

From Stingers to Alouettes? Punter Mike Renaud and running back Andrew Hamilton were signed by the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes over the holidays. Renaud who has been an all-Canadian punter was named to the QUFL all-star team this season. He has been used as a receiver as well by the Stingers, but Concordia coach Gerry McGrath wanted Renaud to concentrate on punting.

From Stingers to Alouettes?

Punter Mike Renaud and running back Andrew Hamilton were signed by the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes over the holidays.

Renaud who has been an all-Canadian punter was named to the QUFL all-star team this season. He has been used as a receiver as well by the Stingers, but Concordia coach Gerry McGrath wanted Renaud to concentrate on punting.

Hamilton spent one season with Concordia and what a season it was. Hamilton, a Montreal native who has NCAA experience, ran the fastest 40 time at last year’s CFL combine. He led the QUFL in all-purpose yards and was a reason why the Stingers offence was successful.

Both players will be attending training camp this summer.

Men’s hockey tie Gee Gees.

The Stingers started out the second half of their season with a 7-7 tie against the University of Ottawa Gee Gees. The Stingers took a 1-0 lead into the second period where the teams combined for nine goals. The third period saw both teams score twice. Concordia was led offensively by Trevor Blanchard and Mike Baslyk who each had a goal and two assists. Remi Tremblay had a pair of goals. Dmitri Toupikov, Mike Halitzki and Alexandre Ward also scored for the Stingers while Marc-Andre Rizk and Simon-Pierre Sauve each had two assists.

Concordia basketball does well

Before taking to action this past weekend, both the men’s and women’s basketball teams had success at holiday tournaments. The men’s team defeated both no. 2 and no. 4 ranked UBC and Victoria to capture the tournament hosted by the University of Victoria.

At home, the women’s team also defeated the Victoria Vikes en route to a third place finish at the Concordia Reebok tournament.

0

Slideshow: This semester's best and funniest sports pictures

Another CSU promise left in the cold