NAT LAUZON’S TOP 5

I like to think that some of the greatest, memorable love songs out of the 80s and 90s. Just look at the profusion of “Greatest Love Songs” compilations on those exhilarating VH1 or Time Life infomercials at 3 a.m.

So in the theme of this fluffy pink mush-fest that is Valentine’s Day, who better to ask for a sultry, sizzling blast from the past time capsule than brilliant, comical radio personality and “80s 90s Nooner” host Nat Lauzon? “My favourite 80s, 90s love songs? Tough call, since the closest I got to love back then was making out with posters of Corey Haim. But I’ll give it a shot.”

#5. 1992 “Baby Got Back” Sir Mix-a-Lot

The most moving tribute to the female anatomy ever written. After all, love begins with a physical spark. Or, at the very least an itty bitty waist and a round thing in yo’ face.

#4. 1986. “True Colors” Cyndi Lauper

I like this song because it can be translated to different kinds of love. Like lover to lover, mother to child, man to sheep (please check local bylaws).

#3. 1985. “Throw Your Arms Around Me” Hunters and Collectors

You probably never heard this on the radio, but it’s one of my personal favourite songs, ever.

The underlying theme is of a one night stand. But a good one. Not the kind where you wake up in a chicken suit next to a sea troll! (Ben Folds: “The Luckiest” (2001) is a close runner-up in the ‘non-mainstream’ category).

#2. 1987. “I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight” Cutting Crew

This song is about a deep, intimate kind of love. And if you ever made out with a guy with a mullet and zoobaz pants, you know what I mean. If this was not on your make-out tape, you weren’t making out, at least not with anything with a pulse.

#1. 1986. “Glory Of Love” Peter Cetera

From the Karate Kid soundtrack. A fairytale-ending type song. The musical equivalent to a chick flick. It contains the lyrics, “I am a man who will fight for your honour”. And after you marry me, I’ll fight for the remote.

Catch more of Nat at
www.natlauzon.com
& www.themix.com