Truth Talker: Tomi Swick

Tomi Swick’s clever, honest song writing has brought him a long way from the local scene in Hamilton, Ontario. From touring with the Goo Goo Dolls and the Barenaked Ladies to nominations for “Best New Artist of the Year” and “Best Pop Album” at the 2007 Juno Awards, Swick hasn’t decelerated. With hit singles like “A Night Like This”, “Everything is Alright” and “Sorry Again”, the Canadian guitarist has sealed a promising fate. Swick’s applauded debut album Stalled Out In The Doorway is both soulful and heartfelt, but isn’t your typical collection of pop-rock love songs and if you think it is, you’re mistaken.

Tomi, you’ve told the press that if we listen hard enough, your songs don’t make you out to be a nice guy.

A lot of songwriters write about being heartbroken. My songs aren’t about that, some people may think they are. Most of my songs like “Sorry Again” are about me being an asshole. I’m saying “I’m sorry, I keep messing things up.” I’m not saying “Oh woe is me”.

Kind of like your song “Wait Until Morning”?

“Wait Until Morning” is a poppy song and if you listen to the words, the song is about me saying “I love you baby, but I’ve gotta do my own thing. I’m outta here!”

Oh, so you’re not a jerk? [Laughs]

[Laughs] Well, it’s not to make me out to be a jerk. They’re just not love songs about heartache. No, they’re not really like that.

Touching back on “Sorry Again”, were you forgiven?

Yeah! I was. Well, to a degree. [Laughs]

Your ex-girlfriend who inspired these songs must have heard them, what was her initial reaction?

She heard them all in creation because I was always jamming. Sometimes I would write a whole song in one night and say “hey, check this out”. Some she loved, some she didn’t.

In a perfect world, could you define the ideal relationship?

Wow! No I can’t. I really can’t. I found out that I’m terrible at relationships so I don’t know what a perfect relationship is. In my mind it’s one that is filled with a lot of love, respect and space. What I think happens a lot in relationships is someone thinks they have to be with the other person all the time. A lot of people then lose their friends, even their own identity because they were sucked into that relationship and they lose themselves. They become this Bennifer! You know what I mean. I’m not saying this from experience, but a perfect relationship would be one with two people still being themselves, living their lives but having something caring, loving and respectful.

Your song “A Night Like This” is on the romantic themed Warner Music compilation From the Heart. What’s the most romantic thing you’ve done for someone, from the heart?

Taking my ex to the Dominican Republic for two weeks as a Christmas present or writing a song for a girl. That works! [Laughs]

What are some of your bad habits while in a relationship?

I have a bad habit of being, putting it lightly, inconsiderate or selfish. Those are my worst habits.

Who has the habit of coming in two’s? What is that song of yours about?

“Come in 2s” is about a time that I was living with my now ex-girlfriend. I wrote the song thinking from her perspective of what it was like with me coming home with people and always having parties. It’s about me coming home in two’s and never really spending time with her.

Can you tell us about the worst date you’ve ever been on?

You know what! I’ve never been on a date! I’ve never even “picked up” a girl. I’ve obviously met girls, but I’ve never been like “Hey, wanna go out?” I’ve only ever had a couple serious relationships and any other woman that I’ve hooked up with has been through friends or people I know. I’ve never had a bad date, because I’ve never been on a real date.

So, no dinner and movie scenario even?

Only with a girlfriend who I was already with and those ended up with fights at dinner.

Ok, enough about relationships – tell us how touring has been. You were on tour with the Goo Goo Dolls, how was that?

It was a blast! Actually, Montreal was the best show with the Goo Goo Dolls. It was the best reaction I have ever gotten from a crowd; the best show I have ever been able to be a part of. The people in Montreal either love you or hate you and if they love you they support you. If you go through parts of Canada like the mid-west, if you’re not balls-out rock, people don’t really get into it. The crowd in Montreal was so fucking phenomenal! I’ve never felt that before. I couldn’t give Montreal enough love.

How does it feel opening for the Barenaked Ladies in larger arena venues on this tour?

It’s a great feeling and kind of intimidating. There’s a lot of pressure that comes with it. When you’re playing bigger arenas you come out to the majority of a cold crowd. I’ll be walking out to a lot of people who may have no idea who I am. But still it’s just so exciting and when you start playing, especially rock, you just want to crank up your amp and give it out!

Tomi Swick plays the Bell Centre with the
Barenaked Ladies, Monday, Feb. 19

The 2007 Juno Awards air April 7 from
Saskatoon, SK on CTV.