Breakfast at Le Sommet

The sign hanging above the restaurant at 4767 Ste. Catherine St. in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve reads “Exotic Breakfast” and it is, indeed, an exotic breakfast that patrons will find when they venture inside.

Sitting down to breakfast at Le Sommet, customers can enjoy immaculately turned eggs, home fries browned to perfection, bacon carefully stripped of excess grease, always made to the right texture, and thick bread rightly toasted with just enough butter melted on top.

The fruit that comes with the meals is always fresh. The cantaloupe, watermelons and other mouth watering items always seem to be in season here.

“Our breakfast is famous,” says Lucas Kakos, while busying himself behind the counter at Le Sommet, performing the shared tasks of preparing food, taking orders and working the till at the same time.

Customers agree. Karine Boileau, mother of 2-year-old Arianne and a former local resident says she’ll always come back to Le Sommet for breakfast.

“It’s a great place to bring my daughter. She said one of her first words here – ketchup.”

“The ‘Maman Special’ is by far the most popular,” says Kakos, a member of the close-knit Konodis family who own and operate the restaurant.

The ‘Maman Special’ is offered from 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m., Monday to Friday.

It comes complete with two eggs, bacon, beans, home fries, tomato, toast with jam and coffee. It is also affordable, starting at $3.50.

Maman is at the helm of the Greek family who opened Le Sommet 18 years ago. She has opened the restaurant every morning since.

What’s the secret to their famous breakfast? Kakos says “a smile, consistency, good taste, good people and hard work.”

“Consistency!” his brother shouts from behind a steaming grill.

They practice what they preach at Le Sommet, and it has its customers coming back. The food is always served in 15 minutes or less, even at the busiest times and diners always know to expect good food.

The staff put in long hours to make Le Sommet an unforgettable experience for the customers.

“I work six days a week,” says Claudette Marsolais, who has been a waitress at the restaurant for the past 10 years.

She says she knows most of the regular customers and has memorized their orders by heart.

The restaurant is often busy but the weekends are notoriously busy; frequented by those who choose to partake in the best breakfast in town, served by friendly, efficient waitresses in a clean and well-kept environment.

Perhaps it’s the restaurant’s diverse menu, with which even the most picky eaters could find something.

Patrons can choose from a variety of up to 15 specials for breakfast alone, from the ‘Aphrodisiac’, including eggs, sausages, beans, and fresh fruit, to the ‘Les Amoureu x’, which comes with eggs, bacon, crepes, a slice of French toast, with fresh fruit and English cream.

Most breakfast specials come with house fries, toast and jam, and coffee.

The variety doesn’t end there. There is also an extensive dinner menu including various choices of sandwiches, salads, Italian and Greek dishes, traditional Quebec poutine, steak, fish and seafood, smoked meat and pizza.

Le Sommet is open from 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. 7 days a week.