Quick Links:   Concordia   Montreal   Quebec   CSU   JMSB   Elections   Science   Score Report   Data   International   Protests   Arts   Music   Events   Photos   Videos   Audio   Francais

Admin retracts tuition increase, students get refund

Concordia’s administration had refunded all extra charges made to international students’ tuition by Monday night, reversing its previous plans to increase the fees by 10 per cent. The school had already upped the fees for students by $109 per course, based on the assumption that the motion would pass on Tuesday.

Concordia’s administration had refunded all extra charges made to international students’ tuition by Monday night, reversing its previous plans to increase the fees by 10 per cent.
The school had already upped the fees for students by $109 per course, based on the assumption that the motion would pass on Tuesday.
CSU President Angelica Novoa said she knew “for a fact” that the protest made the difference in changing the Board’s agenda. About 50 students joined the CSU executives outside the GM building before the BoG meeting early Tuesday morning to protest the proposed fee increase. The issue was postponed until October.
International students will now see that their fees have returned to their original amount on their MyConcordia Portal.
Novoa is pleased with this development, but predicts that the fight is not over.
“We saved the students – at least for now, because it’s one semester they won’t be able to charge the fees,” said Novoa, who added that the CSU will be better prepared when it’s time to contest the issue once more.
“Now we have this time to convey to the Board of Governors that this increase is not going to benefit the students and it shouldn’t be implemented at all.”

0

ConU Roundup: Lady Stingers fall to Laval in soccer, rugby

Electro-Shock