By the Book

Relax, Fox. You won’t have to bring back re-runs of Temptation Island to get your ratings up for this year’s World Series. Red Sox Nation will be coming in full force to see if they can become the new Evil Empire after the New York Yankees got rid of their best asset.
After the Boston Red Sox beat the Cleveland Indians by winning three straight must-win games, Fox can breathe a sigh of relief that they won’t have to promote a Colorado-Cleveland World Series. Instead Boston, this generation’s Yankees, will get a chance to win their second World Series since 2004.and 1918.
Meanwhile those pesky Colorado Rockies, who haven’t lost a game since the opener of a three-game season-ending series against the Arizona Diamondbacks, are seeing Red of their own – the Cincinnati Reds, as they are the first team since the Reds of the 1970s to win their first seven playoff games in one season.
The Rockies and Red Sox offer one of the first World Series with a Canadian at both sides (Jeff Francis of Colorado and Eric Gagne with the Sox). There are also more than a few interesting story lines. The Rockies took two games of a three game series against the Red Sox earlier this year, outscoring them 20-5 in the three games.
Also, it will be another opportunity for the rest of North America to get a look at the best team you’ve never heard of with Matt Holliday, Troy Tulowitzki and Garrett Atkins.
The best story line? Remember all of those Spring trade rumours between Colorado and Boston? The one’s where Todd Helton would go to a contender in Boston?
I bet you nobody thought that later in October Helton would be in the World Series playing game one at Fenway Park. as a member of the Rockies.
Game one is Wednesday night, and my prediction is that the Rockies will continue to roll.
I feel that the Rockies are just playing good baseball, and in a game where the bounces can help you win a game or two, in a seven game series that means a whole lot.
The Rockies haven’t lost since I was Editor-in-Chief, and if I have learned one thing in my time as a prognosticator, it’s to go with the one you went with in the beginning, and I picked the Rockies when no one else did in April.
It also doesn’t hurt to go with the hot hand.
Colorado in six.

Stingers Cinderella story
You have to feel good for the Concordia Stingers baseball team and head coach Howard Schwartz. Schwartz, who has been Concordia’s coach since the team started play, took the team to its first Quebec championship this season and their first National Championship. The Stingers in turn went 3-2 in the tournament, making it all the way to the Championship game before losing to the University of New Brunswick 2-0.
The baseball team makes it under the radar for a lot of reasons, but like the wrestling team does, is making some noise the old fashioned way…with success.
Stingers score up a storm
This weekend some Stinger teams that have had some trouble scoring woke up in a big way. The football team scored more points than in any game against McGill ever, with 58 points, 404 yards rushing and over 600 total yards.
The women’s hockey team scored four goals against the Ottawa Gee Gee’s, both tripling their season total and beating goaltender Jessica Audet twice (with two empty net goals) after being shut out in their season opener.
And finally, in what was probably the most important game of the week, the women’s rugby team beat McGill 10-0 in the conference semi-final. Ten points isn’t scoring up a storm in rugby, but this was just one week after the teams battled to a 0-0 tie.