Cheap and easy recipes

One of the most unfortunate things about being a student is the lowering of gastronomical standards. Many students are forced to live off 75-cent boxes of Kraft Dinner. The only justification for this crime against the stomach is the cheap price. Students, starve no more! Here are three cheap and easy recipes to alleviate your hunger pangs.

Pasta with White “Cream” Sauce
This recipe is ideal because it uses common ingredients. There is no need to go out and shop for anything special. You can add many things to the sauce to make it fancier (think shrimp, bacon or chopped vegetables). It should take about 15 minutes in total to make.

Ingredients for sauce:
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1-1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper

Ingredients for pasta:
4 cups dry pasta
8 cups water

Directions:
Boil water in a large pot.
Once the pot is boiling rapidly, add the pasta and cook for 7-10 minutes. Drain and serve with sauce.
In the mean time, mince the garlic. Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir with a whisk until a paste is formed. Add the milk all at once and whisk rapidly until the flour paste is dissolved. Whisk continuously until the sauce thickens to desired consistency. (It will get thick!) Add salt and pepper for taste.
Serves: 4

Fancy Fries
Even though these fries are made with minimal time and effort, they always wow a crowd. It is a good idea to double the recipe to make sure you will have enough for everyone to snack on later. This recipe is loosely based on a more complicated one by famous TV chef, Jamie Oliver.

Ingredients:
5 medium potatoes
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. rosemary (optional)
1/8 cup olive oil (vegetable oil also works)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400