Radio-Canada film contest attracts 200

A Concordia student walking around either campus can hold a conversation with someone from Arabic descant, European, Afro-Canadian, Asian, and even Australian.
This mosaic is something we take for granted. Often, we forget Pakistanis and Indians in the Sub-continent refuse to talk to each other, yet here, the line is blurred. All the while the Chinese and Taiwanese community at Concordia seem to be getting along fine. With the exception of a few isolated incidents, multicultural life has been bliss.
This phenomenon is the inspiration behind the Radio-Canada Internationale (RCI) film contest. Entitled “Digital Diversity” in English and “Métissé Serré” in French, the competition features some of the province’s and Canada’s brightest up-and-coming filmmakers in short documentaries.
“The film competition was designed to give Canadians a voice in immigration and multiculturalism issues through creative and constructive expression,” said Thierry Harris, one of the producers of the contest and a Concordia Journalism student.
“RCI is the voice of Canadians living abroad since the 1940’s, they broadcast in eight different languages in over 400 radio channels worldwide,” Harris explained. “Recently, it changed mandates from targeting Canadians living abroad to discussing issues important for multicultural Canadians at home.”
Based in Montréal, the contest’s English section is a breeding ground for current and former Concordia students. Fitting, since the school boasts one of the best film, communications and journalism programs in the country, possibly in North America.
“Concordia’s dedication to the arts makes me very proud to be a part of this school,” Harris said. “It is recognized across the country as a leader in these subjects.”
So far the project can be deemed a success, with over 200 submissions nationwide. The cultural groups represented here come from all over. “On a shoe string budget” they have managed to get one-hundred partners and a few shorts on the festival circuit, as well as screenings internationally.
At Concordia students and staff are in a universe of their own, multiculturalism is part of daily routine. For the rest of the province this is a hot topic issue, as Québecers are once again questioning their identity. This reason was the motivating factor for selecting the theme for the contest. “Quebec is a very young society in terms of French Canadians affirming their status vis