Sports’ Top weird moments

On Aug. 23, 1989, Montreal Expos mascot Youppi! was ejected from the team’s game against the Los Angeles Dodgers after Dodgers coach Tommy Lasorda complained about his dancing on top of their dugout. It was the first time a mascot was ejected from a game.
Honourable Mentions: Harvey the Hound (for getting his tongue ripped out by Edmonton Oilers coach Craig MacTavish at a game in Calgary) and Blitz (for costing his team, the Montreal Alouettes a 15-yard penalty for contact with an official).
Roman Emperor Theodosius canceled the ancient Olympics in 392 AD in part due to riots that had taken place over charges by Greek athletes that some Roman competitors were professionals.
Going back to the wall, Jose Canseco went to field a routine fly ball. He missed the ball with his glove, the ball then bounced right off of his head and went over the fence. the result being a home run.
At the U.S. tennis Championships in 1977, Renée Richards lost 6-1, 6-4 in the first round to Virginia Wade. This in itself is not the weird moment. It was her second appearance at the tournament that was weird. She lost in the first round in 1960 by a score of 6-0, 6-1, 6-1. in the men’s event as Richard Raskin.
Norwegian Birger Ruud won a Silver medal at the 1948 Olympics in the ski jump. Ruud was originally at the Olympics as a coach, before taking the place of a less-experienced team member.
Terry Baker made history by being the only player to be an All-American at the Final Four and winning the Heisman trophy in the same year. The Oregon State star won third-team honours at the 1963 NCAA basketball tournament, and was also the first overall selection in the 1963 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams after winning the 1962 Heisman trophy.
At the 1920 Olympics, American figure skater Theresa Weld was warned by the judges for making jumps considered unsuitable for a lady. Previously, women were unable to perform jumps altogether.
Super Bowls VI and XIV (six and 14) were won by teams with starting quarterbacks Roger Staubach, Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw and Ken Stabler. All four wore the same uniform number – 12.
At the 1972 Boston Marathon, officials tried to drag Kathy Switzer off the course. Switzer registered for the Marathon as K.V. Switzer at a time when women were not welcomed in the race. Attempts to take her off the track once it was discovered that she was a woman were thwarted by her running partner, hammer thrower Tom Miller. Switzer finished the race, but was banned from the Amateur Athletic Federation for life.
At the end of a Super Bowl XXVII blowout win for the Dallas Cowboys over the Buffalo Bills, DT Leon Lett recovered a fumble and, with no one in front of him, seemed headed for an easy touchdown. So he stretched his arms out in celebration as he was nearing the end zone. But Buffalo’s Don Beebe chased him down from behind and knocked the ball out of his hand just before he crossed the goal line, sending the ball through the end zone and resulting in an embarrassing touchback.