The Aude Couture Series:

Karl Lagerfeld (zi fashion heavyweight) said in a 2006 interview with New York Magazine that his sole ambition in life was to wear size 28 jeans.
Ok, so this is Karl and he can be forgiven. But hopefully, this is not the average person’s goal in life.
Because quite frankly, whether you are plus-size or waif-like is of little importance. It is rather the size of the clothes you wear that really counts in the equation.
Clothes, when fitted nicely, can show off an amazing shape, add a few pounds to a frail figure or hide problematic areas. Seems like the magic is in the fit.

Out: the “skin tight” dresser

So, this is a major fashion sin. And unfortunately a lot of people are sinners.
Extremely tight clothes (and we are not talking about leggings here) are rarely flattering, no matter your shape.
And by tight clothes we are referring to clothes that are generally too small for you.
Let’s face it: reality can be harsh and, when possible, most people would rather avoid it.
But you might not be the same size you used to be two years ago.
This type of dresser often gets the “muffin top” look (when some unwanted bulge pops out, usually around the waist area) and there is an obvious lack of oxygen.
Don’t people like to breath in their clothes?
Even the skinniest people don’t benefit from this type of dressing, for it only amplifies their small frame.
So please, re-evaluate the content of your wardrobe.
Anything you have trouble squeezing into should be retired.
As well, anything that reveals, by its tightness, private parts beyond common decency should be put to sleep.
If people around you can’t look you straight in the eye when you are fully clothed, it’s a pretty good indication that you should rethink your sense of fashion.

Out: the “garbage bag” dresser

The other end of the spectrum isn’t rosier.
It usually represents the solution for people who want to hide certain things, again whether a small or curvier frame.
But dressing in oversized clothes won’t make you appear smaller (as it is often the common belief for curvier people).
You are only more likely to appear like a shapeless blob.
With no definition nor pleating and with no seaming in the right areas, this does nothing except hide you.
And if you already had confidence problems then you have just made it clearer for all to see.

In: dressing for your size

Know thyself! Know what size you are, not which size you would like to be.
Look reality in the face and learn to deal. We all have body issues but clothes shouldn’t be armor against them.
There are solutions to improving your looks and clothes can certainly do that for you.
Learn to play with proportions, seaming and volume to highlight a beautiful bust or small waist or curvaceous booty. Highlight the body part you like most about yourself.
In order to determine your size, try, try try!
Size ain’t nothing but a number.

In: doing the math
Understanding sizes is crucial. Sizes vary from store to store and when European sizes get thrown in the mix, you are in for a wild ride.
Websites like onlineconversion.com can help you convert European sizes to American/Canadian sizes.
This is particularly useful when shopping online.
But in regular stores, again even ifyou know your size, trying it on is key!

For more information on size conversions, please visit:
www.onlineconversion.com