Gay Across the Globe:

Diversity is the name of the game as Image+Nation’s LGBT International Film Festival wraps up its ten day run on the Nov. 25.
This year’s edition brings together over 500 films from around the world in a celebration of classic and cutting-edge queer cinema.
For Katharine Setzer, Director of Programming, the fest is an important opportunity to move beyond the stereotypes associated with labels.
“Our mandate is to first and foremost show an exceptional array of films, and to challenge and investigate notions of sexuality and gender in all its permeations.” Setzer said.
With the fest celebrating its 20th Anniversary, Setzer focused on extending its scope to include more than just the latest films. “We are the oldest queer festival in the country, so there’s a responsibility to pay homage.”
A vanguard documentary series highlights the contributions of queer filmmakers and “visual mavericks” alike, while a restored print of the classic Parting Glances makes its debut.
Those preferring familiar faces in their flicks should certainly check out Breakfast With Scot, starring Tom Cavanaugh (Scrubs). Directed by Canadian Laurie Lynd, the film is the first ever to be sponsored by the NHL and examines gay athletes’ tendencies to keep their private lives private.
David Gallagher (Seventh Heaven) stars in The Picture of Dorian Grey, where a young gay man’s fear of aging prompts him to make a pact with the devil.
Setzer is confident that attendees will be pleased with the diverse program. “What I love about our audience is that they become more and more savvy. They’re hungry for more than the easy romantic comedy.”
As much as the films and documentaries differ, so does the issue of acceptance when seen from an international perspective. Setzer explains that as North Americans “we’re getting quite comfy with getting married and doing whatever the hell we want. Globally it’s not so much the case.”
With this in mind, the fest opened with Bubble, a Romeo and Juliet style love story set against the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The closing film, Comme Des Voleurs, takes a more zany approach to issues concerning identity.
Featured in the film is a happily committed gay man struggling with the notion that his purely Swiss heritage may include some Polish roots.
Setzer sees this shift in focus as a natural step. “It’s sort of ‘Coming Out Polish’.
As screenings continue at Concordia’s De S