News in brief

Chadi Marouf stopped in court by FEUQ/CSU legal tactics: Taking his petition to the Quebec Superior Court last Friday, Concordia student Chadi Marouf was surprised by the appearance of provincial lobby group FEUQ (Federation etudiantes universitaire du Quebec) and CSU representatives.

Chadi Marouf stopped in court by FEUQ/CSU legal tactics:

Taking his petition to the Quebec Superior Court last Friday, Concordia student Chadi Marouf was surprised by the appearance of provincial lobby group FEUQ (Federation etudiantes universitaire du Quebec) and CSU representatives.
Marouf was seeking a provisional injunction from the judge that would constest the CSU’s current interpretation of certain by-laws. Although Marouf claimed his petition, signed by 850 students, backed his claim that he should be able to add a late question to the upcoming November referendum, his appeal for an injuction was stopped in its tracks.
FEUQ threatened to sue the CSU if an injunction was handed down by the judge. According to Marouf, this was a legal maneouver that effectively forced the judge to move the case from a provisional injunction to an interlocutory injunction. The first hearing will take place in 30 days.
CSU VP Communications Noah Stewart asserted that Marouf hadn’t taken into account the fact that FEUQ requires 30 days notice from a member group before a vote can be held on cancelling its membership.
According to Stewart, Marouf’s case was “thrown out” by the judge on Friday, and he claims that FEUQ never received a letter of notice from Marouf before the 30 days.

Last public consulation of the year for the 1% campaign:

Last Wednesday’s public consulation, the last for the fall semester, resulted in seven potential special projects to be reviewed in the coming months.
Mo Shuriye, coordinator for the 1% campaign, explained that the lack of visibility of the campaign on campus was due to the fact that funding only reached his office two weeks ago because of administrative red tape.
According to Shuriye, special projects will be put in place over the course of next year, once they are approved.
As for free mugs on campus, Shuriye predicts they will likely be ready by September 2008.

0

Online exclusive articles coming soon!

Artists Against Apartheid