Rouge et Or leave Stingers black and blue

The Concordia Stingers football team’s season came to a crashing halt Saturday when the No. 1-ranked Université de Laval (U de L) Rouge et Or captured the 2007 Dunsmore Cup with a score of 35-10 and prevented the Stingers from attaining Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championship glory.

Coming into a hostile environment, Concordia had the daunting task of knocking off the best team in all of CIS. Over 12,000 screaming Rouge et Or fans did not make the experience comfortable for the visiting Stingers, and it became evident as the game progressed.
Laval opened the scoring five minutes into the first quarter when Pierre-Luc Yao capped off a 10-play, 78-yard drive with a 1-yard rushing touchdown. As the quarter continued, both the Concordia and Laval defences were holding strong.
In the opening stages of the second, the Red and Gold further distanced themselves from the Stingers as Laval kicker Christopher Milo nailed his first field goal of the game, a 37-yarder to bring the score 10-0 in favour of Laval.
Pierre-Luc Yao would find the end zone for a second time, rushing for another one-yard touchdown to bring U de L’s lead to 17 midway through the second quarter.
The Stingers would finally put some points on the board when Concordia’s kicker René Paredes sent a 27-yard field goal through the upright and cut U de L’s lead to two touchdowns.
On Concordia’s next drive the offence was trying desperately to make something happen, but U de L’s defence tightened the screws on Mahoney and Co. which resulted in Mahoney throwing his first interception of the game; a pass that tipped off the hands of inside receiver Nick Scissons and into the hands of cornerback Jean Petit-Fr

0

Online exclusive articles coming soon!

Artists Against Apartheid