A unique piece of theatre

The holiday season has once again come roaring back into our lives and Montreal’s Harvest Production Company is giving you the opportunity to escape the malls and Christmas parties with a unique piece of theatre. A Queer Carol is an updated version of Charles Dickens’ yuletide classic, incorporating gay themes while still remaining faithful to the original story.

Set in modern day Montreal, A Queer Carol’s Scrooge is a disgruntled man infuriated with everything around him after the death of his lover at the hands of a virulent disease. The three ghosts, humorously embodying the spirits of Marilyn Monroe, a drag queen and a party jokester, represent stereotypes of gay culture, and the cast frequently breaks out into song and dance. What would a gay production be without the flashing of some skin?
Cast member and Concordia student David Sklar said he expects audiences to have an exceptional time. “I don’t think people will be shocked.but this is the perfect time of year to see a unique play and I think our audience will have a lot of fun.”
The cast has been working long and hard since September prepping for opening night this Wednesday. Although the play is true to the original A Christmas Carol, audiences will be offered a unique experience that steers away from what theatergoers are generally accustomed to.
“The story is being presented from a different point of view. It’s not mainstream and this play is for those who are tired of typical theatre.” The production is being presented at Mainline Theatre and although the theatre itself is small, it simply contributes to the closeness of the audience and cast members.
So leave the wallet-emptying and gift-wrapping behind and take in different kind of classic.

A Queer Carol runs from Dec. 4 to Dec. 16. Student tickets are $15.

0

Stingers split weekend against Ottawa teams

Henry Rollins. What?