Stingers basketball teams have 1-1 weekends

The Concordia Stingers men’s and women’s basketball teams had a pair of sweeps over the weekend. One up and one down.
Damian Buckley had 23 points in the 77-64 victory to lead the Stingers on the road over the Bishop’s Gaiters.
Against UQAM the next day, Buckley had 25 points but the Stingers fell to the Citadins 96-75.
It was the second and third straight games that Buckley led the Stingers in both points and rebounds. He has led the team in points in the last seven games.
Concordia, ranked at No. 8 in the country before the weekend’s games, have a 5-4 record and are tied for second spot in the Quebec conference.
The women had the same results as the men’s team.
Second-year point guard Krystle Douglas had 24 points in a 70-64 victory over the Gaiters. She led the team with 17 points the next day in a losing effort against UQAM.
Kristin Portwine, a rookie forward with the Stingers, also had a very good weekend.
She grabbed a team-high 13 rebounds and scored eight points against Bishop’s and had 13 points and eight rebounds against UQAM in a 73-68 loss to earn athlete of the week honours.
With their 1-1 record over the weekend, the Stingers leapfrogged the McGill Martlets for the fourth and final playoff position and sit in a tie for third with Bishop’s.
Football team dishes out team awards
Stingers defensive back Sammy Okpro was named the football Stingers’ most valuable player at a team banquet Saturday night.
Liam Mahoney, who was the CIS rookie of the year, was the Offensive MVP and rookie of the year.
Other award winners were Cory Greenwood as outstanding defensive player, Kristian Matte for offensive line, Tom Kuchiran for defensive line, Rene Parades as top special teams player, Nicholas Hum and Maurice Forbes as defensive rookies of the year, Sean Guevremont as most dedicated player and Keith Dauper recieved the top academic award.