Quick Links:   Concordia   Montreal   Quebec   CSU   JMSB   Elections   Science   Score Report   Data   International   Protests   Arts   Music   Events   Photos   Videos   Audio   Francais

Symposium on women, Islam and sports

Concordia’s department of sociology and anthropology is inviting students this Friday to take part in a symposium on the role of sports in the lives of Muslim women. “The Role of Sport in Resisting, Accommodating And in Remaking Muslim Women” will be chaired by Wilson Chacko Jacob, from Concordia University.

Concordia’s department of sociology and anthropology is inviting students this Friday to take part in a symposium on the role of sports in the lives of Muslim women.
“The Role of Sport in Resisting, Accommodating And in Remaking Muslim Women” will be chaired by Wilson Chacko Jacob, from Concordia University. The speaker series is sponsored by Concordia and Women Living Under Muslim Laws, an international network promoting solidarity for women living in both secular and religious countries.
This includes both Muslim and non-Muslim women who are affected or governed by laws and customs pertaining to Islam. The network spans over 70 countries and aims to strengthen women’s equality and rights.
Speakers will include Yoav Di-Capua, from the University of Texas at Austin: Martha Saavedra, University of California at Berkeley; Nasrin Afzali: University of Tehran, and Hana Askren, from Concordia University.
Another featured speaker from Concordia is Homa Hoodfar. She has conducted field research on development and social change issues in Egypt and Iran, with an emphasis on gender, households, work and international migration in the Middle East. Hoodfar will present “The Launching of Muslim Women’s Olympics: New Spheres for Feminism in Iran.”
The rest of the panel will focus on topics ranging from the relation between women and sport in African countries to the campaign of Iranian women to gain the right to attend soccer matches in Iran.

The conference takes place Fri., March 28, 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. at Concordia University Hall Building, Rm 763, 1455 de Maisonneuve W.
For more info: Sertach Sehlikoglu at [email protected], or the
department of Sociology and Anthropology at 514.848.2424 ext. 2140

0

By the Book

The Madness within