Cutbacks at Concordia: TA funding next on the block?

For this year at least, student Concordia’s teaching assistants (TAs) have been spared the worst of a round of mandatory summer budget cuts. But with further cuts expected in the near future, the TAs’ financial futures may be on shaky ground.
“We couldn’t cut the TAs budgets this year, because we had already promised them the money when the cuts came around,” said Donna Whittaker, assistant to the chair of the history department
“We had to cut deep into the budget to make the reduction,” she said. “We cut stationary, photocopying, all the supplies. We also cut visiting speakers, professional development, travel and a few other smaller spending areas.”
In total, the history department cut more than 20 per cent out of a total discretionary budget of approximately $123 million.
Departments throughout the university reported similar cuts, with the majority of those willing to comment reporting cuts in the neighbourhood of $20,000.
Although many departments have been able to confine the present round of cuts to ancillary spending, officials and teachers privately confirm that any new hiring will likely be done with an eye to more cuts coming next year.
According to one English department official, who wished to remain anonymous, the budget fears have already started showing themselves.
“Yes, we were able to keep most of these reductions into supplies and other inessentials . . . but this is the first year I can remember where we’ve had no new hires in our department.”
According to education chair Richard Schmid, any reduction in TA hiring would have an impact on students well beyond mere cost of salary.
“These positions are important to students for much more than the money. Students get practical experience in teaching and working with professors; when they go towards a PhD or a masters, or towards a teaching position, that’s professional development already under their belts.”