First blood for defending champs

It was only an exhibition game but the Concordia Stingers women’s rugby team played like they were defending their provincial title defeating the Queen’s Golden Gaels 31-10.
Rookie Jackie Tittley was dominant on offence, scoring three conversions. Fourth year scrumhalf Mel Tranchemontagne was also a standout by helping Concordia keep possession of the ball, contributing to more scoring chances.
Tranchemontagne scored a try that saw her single-handedly dodge two defenders and dive past the touchline with a third hanging off her shoulder.
Rounding off the night’s performance was Concordia’s defence, which applied constant pressure to the Queen’s front line. However, Tranchemontagne believes the defence still needs work when Queen’s was able to respond with two tries in the second half.
“It’s always the defence [that needs work],” said Tranchemontagne. “You have to want to tackle, everyone can play offence and score.”
Head coach Graeme McGravie saw the potential for a return to the nationals, but believes the team “has a lot of work to do”.
“We looked good for the first 20 minutes,” said McGravie. “But we had little mental lapses.”
The Stingers will face McGill on Sunday, Sept. 7 in their home opener for the Kelly-Ann Drummond Cup, a game named after the late Stinger who was slain on Oct. 4, 2004.
Concordia beat McGill in the Provincial final last year, but has not beat the Martlets in the regular season over the last 10 years.
“We’re not scared,” said Tranchemontagne. “If we can mesh, I’m absolutely confident we can win.”
Concordia placed fifth in the national championship last year by defeating Waterloo University.