Home Sports Bourbonnais goes out in style

Bourbonnais goes out in style

By Archives October 28, 2008

Coming off their first win of the season last week, Concordia tied two of the country’s best teams, No. 8 McGill and national top-10 Laval, 3-3 on Sunday and Friday respectively.
The Concordia Stingers men’s soccer team played their best soccer of the season in the last two weeks. Unfortunately for them, it was too little, too late.
“The season is too short, we needed games like that in the middle of the season,” said captain Bryan Bourbonnais. “My boys showed up.”
With a few lineup switches by coach Lloyd Barker, both games showed a great testament to team work. In both games they trailed by two, but didn’t let it affect them. They battled hard, and pushed to get back into the games, including even having a lead against McGill Sunday.
In the Sunday game they were down 2-0 as early as 20 minutes in, on goals by Jeremy Hurdle and Sami Obaid past Stinger starter Daniel De Palma.
The Stingers reduced the Redmen lead to one when Bourbonnais connected on a goal that eluded goalkeeper Michael Faustini, scoring in what was his final game as a Stinger, “It’s definitely a good way to go out,” said Bourbonnais.
An unfortunate incident happened five minutes later against the Stingers, when in the 28th minute De Palma collided with a McGill forward in front of his net and ended up having to be carried off the field with the aid of his teammates.
In came Kyle Prillo-Guaiani who had finished Friday’s night contest, “It’s always difficult coming in [midway through the half] because you’re cold coming off the bench,” said Prillo-Guaiani.
“But you always have to have the mindset to come in no matter what.”
Late in the first half the Stingers wanted to head to the locker room with positives, and got just that when defence Kouyabe Ignegongba evened the score off a nice header after a very strong throw in by defender David Stefanovitch.
In the 70th minute there was hope yet for the Stingers when Prillo-Guaiani sent a long ball down field and Freddy Moody was left alone on a breakaway. After rushing hard, he lobbed it over the oncoming McGill keeper Olivier Boulva for his second goal of the season – both against McGill.
“It was pretty sweet to get it right to him, and then have him score,” said Prillo-Guauani.
“It was exciting. Goalkeepers don’t get assists often.” The Stingers had their first lead of the game, and desperately wanted to hold on.
However with just under six minutes left on the clock, Redmen forward Michael Stein knocked in the equalizer.
On Friday night the Stingers fought back from a 3-1 deficit against the Laval Rouge et Or late in the game and scored two goals in the last eight minutes. Sean Hanrahan connected on a goal from a perfect throw from Stefanovitch to reduce the deficit to 3-2.
In the dying moments of the game a controversial red card was handed to Stingers’ Alex Lord while a penalty kick was awarded. A Laval player fell to the ground and the referee assumed it was an errant elbow. Bourbonnais went to take the shot and he made no mistake putting it past Laval Rouge et Or goalkeeper to tie the game.
“It was unbelievable; what a thriller,” said Stingers midfielder Billy Kirwin.
Coach Barker was all smiles after the tied game, “I’m very proud, they fought for results,” said Barker. “They used everything; grit, determination and poise. I’m extremely happy with them. We have a lot of young and new players, so what we see now will continue to grow next season.”