Simple as ABC: Anything but Conservatives Campaigns

Although Harper is currently leading the polls, a number of groups have emerged to form an alliance against the Conservative party. Among those joining the “anybody but Harper” campaign are two of the biggest environmentalist groups in Canada, Greenpeace, and the Sierra Club.
The two organizations have teamed up to rally people into voting for any party except the Conservatives on Oct. 14, and issued an official joint statement last Tuesday.
“If you care for the environment and want action on global warming, don’t vote Conservative,” said Bruce Cox, executive director of Greenpeace Canada at a news conference on Parliament Hill.
The environmental groups have criticized Harper for being the only federal party leader to refuse to sign the Canada Kyoto Protocol pledge, a commitment to a 25 per cent cut in greenhouse gas emissions by 2020.
But it’s not just environmentalists pushing for anybody but Harper, Premier of Newfound and Labrador Danny Williams launched his “ABC” or “anything but Conservative” campaign in early September, saying another Harper government would be “one of the most negative political events in Canadian history.” In 2006, Williams accused Harper of breaking his campaign promise to not include non-renewable resources, like fossil fuels, in the formulas used to determine federal equalization funding, money distributed from wealthy provinces to poorer ones by the federal government. Newfoundland and Labrador have three offshore oilfields that provide a large portion of their revenue. Williams’ campaign has been so successful that the Conservative party has complained about difficulties raising money and getting volunteers.