Home Sports Solid outings for both Stinger soccer teams

Solid outings for both Stinger soccer teams

by Archives October 7, 2008

The Concordia Stingers women’s soccer team has had a rough season thus far, however this past weekend demonstrated potential that hasn’t been fully shown with a close loss to No. 1 Université de Montreal 4-2, and their first win of the season on Sunday afternoon, shutting out Bishop’s 2-0.
“We’ve played the best games compared to the beginning of the season,” said goalkeeper Fanny Berthiaume. “We stepped it up and it’s not even comparable. We have potential, and need to keep it up.”
The game stayed scoreless until the second half when the Stingers got goals from Andrea Davidson and Jennifer Duff. Berthiaume got the shutout.
“They [Davidson and Duff] have been playing stronger and stronger with each game, keeping the momentum there,” said Stingers head coach Jorge Sanchez.
On Friday, the game started like most of the other games for the Stingers, playing an even-paced match before the 29th minute, when UdeM’s Veronique Laverdiere put her first of the evening past Berthiaume.
Five minutes later after defender Johanna van der Veen wired a shot off the post, goalkeeper Martine Julien was down and third-year forward Natasha Sicondolfo put it in the open cage, “We came out really hard, and played really well,” said goal-scorer Sicondolfo. The goal was the first the Carabins had conceded all year, a string of eight games. And just like that the game was tied. The Stingers were elated and jumping with happiness. “It’s a much nicer feeling actually having fun then [losing 7-0, 4-0 and 6-1],” said coach Jorge Sanchez.
Two minutes later on a Carabins’ corner Émilie Mercier headed a shot into the net.
However for the rest of the first half it remained a strong battle and despite being down a goal, you wouldn’t know it by Concordia’s strong performances at both ends of the field. “We competed against the No. 1 team in the country that we shouldn’t be able to match,” said captain Allison Burgess.
Riding the first half’s strong play Concordia came out of the gate for the second half keeping the momentum. In the 52nd minute though a cross by Carabins’ Isabelle Dumais landed at the feet of Laverdi