There’s no such thing as a free lunch

Concordia students who have enjoyed the Hive’s free lunches might have to find a new place for complementary food.
The Loyola luncheon faces an uncertain future after its coordinator and chef Cameron Fenton resigned last week over what he described as CSU mismanagement.
“The continued failures and lies beset upon myself and the program by your administration have left the luncheon program as a shell of the goal set out by its creator and myself,” Fenton said in a e-mail.
The luncheon program was started last year by the CSU in an effort to offer a similar service to the People’s Potato at Loyola campus.
The luncheon offered free vegan meals from Monday to Thursday. Last year it served between 100 and 150 students per day, a number organizers were hoping to double this year.
Fenton took issue with a lack of proper equipment and staff.
“I was using a $350 household oven to cook for commercial purposes,” said Fenton. “I never knew what the budget was, so I couldn’t buy new equipment.” For the last week Fenton had been running the three-person operation on his own. “It’s near impossible to do it alone,” he said.
Though CSU president Keyana Kashfi admits Fenton has spent the past week working alone, she said “we have services that all need attention, love and care, we’ve learnt from all our mistakes . . . trying to re-staff and find better ways to serve our students takes time.” Adding, “the Loyola luncheon will prevail, it will be served this year and everyone will enjoy that.”