I love your New York, your Paris…

It has been almost 40 years since the Stonewall of riots, 20-odd years since the onset of the AIDS epidemic, and over three years since same-sex marriage was legalized in Canada.
Gay and lesbian characters have exploded into the mainstream in recent years. From TV shows like The L Word, Queer as Folk, and Will and Grace, to the touristic cachet of festivals like Montreal’s Black and Blue and San Francisco’s Gay Pride Parade, the seemingly healthy state of gay rights is all around us.
Let’s not forget transgendered rights either. New York personality and club bunny Amanda Lepore has given a new visibility to this marginalized group by being perhaps “the world’s most famous trannie.” In the words of Vice co-founder Gavin Innes, she is “cartoon hot.”
Sadly, equality isn’t yet in the bag. Only five other countries besides Canada recognize same-sex marriage: Belgium, Nepal, South Africa, Spain, and Norway. In the United States, it is legal only in the states of Massachusetts and Connecticut.
In many South Asian countries like Malaysia, being openly gay is tantamount to suicide. Although many homosexuals apply for refugee status in Canada, half get turned away. This complicated and expensive process is exacerbated by the inconsistent efforts of legal-aid lawyers. In addition, the burden of proof falls on the claimant.
In which direction, then, are LGBT rights headed in this post-gay age?
French filmmaker Jean-Baptiste Erreca assembled a team of six documentary makers to answer the question in Gay…et apr