Quick Spins

Belle & Sebastian
The BBC Sessions

In an age of music littered with mac books and beat loops, Belle & Sebastian’s The BBC Sessions comes across as a light in the dark.
With hauntingly nostalgic rhythms and melodic vocals reminiscent of Donovan, the tracks compiled prove to be very convalescent. “The State I am in” sets the pace with Stuart Murdoch’s vocals on the verge of tears, followed by a crescendo of weeping guitars and marching drums raising the mood from melancholy to wistfulness.
The album relives such tracks as “The Boy with the Arab Strap” and “Seymour Stein,” but does well to focus on songs not featured as singles on their previous albums.
The first disc follows suit, featuring wonderful craftsmanship and quality production.
The second disc is comprised of live recordings from a concert in Belfast, Ireland. Opening with a cover of George Harrison’s “Here Comes the Sun,” the disc evolves epic indie folk shows of the past.
Such a blend of guitar, cello, trumpet, keyboard, violin and enchanting vocals sets the standard for a generation who seems to forget the importance of original composition and meaningful lyrics. For anyone unfamiliar with the Scottish septet and for diehard fans alike, this quintessential album is a must-have.
8.5/10
– Tyler Alty

———————–

Passion Pit
Chunk of Change EP

Originally intended as a Valentine’s Day gift from Michael Angelakos to his girlfriend, Passion Pit was signed to Frenchkiss Records after they got their hands on his set of electro-pop love songs.
With catchy, upbeat numbers like “Sleepyhead” and “Better Things,” this record is the perfect soundtrack to freshmen parties and Sunday morning household chore routines. Synth-heavy and beat-driven, it sounds retro and ephemeral.
Jumping along the Vampire Weekend-inspired preppy wave, it’s no surprise that Passion Pit has found such mass appeal among college hipsters. If you can get past the helium-balloon wailing “Falsetto,” you may end up rockin’ out to this collection of amour-inspired songs.
6.5/10
-Anna Chigo