Registration required for Quebec vote

With the Quebec election less than two weeks away, time is running out to register to vote. Unlike federal elections, Quebec doesn’t allow people to add themselves to the voters’ list at the polling station, instead requiring pre-registration.
The provincial government automatically registers people when they file provincial income tax, and maintains the list from year to year. Voters who are on the list should have received a voter information card informing them of where to vote. As well people who are unsure if they’re on the list can check their registration on the Elections Quebec website at www.monvote.qc.ca/en/edv_verif.asp.
“It is possible for [students from out of province] to register themselves on the voters list if, and only if, they’ve lived here for more than six months and Quebec is their permanent residence,” said Pascal Tremblay a spokesperson for Elections Quebec.
Students from inside Quebec, who live away from home, can vote where they study, but may have to register to ensure they are on the right list.
Voter registration continues until Dec. 4 and must be done in person through the Special Board of Revisions, the location of registration offices are available online at www.monvote.qc.ca or by phone at 1-888-ÉLECTION (1-888-353-2846).
People registering to vote must present two pieces of ID, one with their name and birth date, such as a birth certificate or Quebec health card; and another with their name and address, such as a driver’s license, telephone or electricity bill.