Home Sports Stingers erase 2-0 deficit, win in shootout

Stingers erase 2-0 deficit, win in shootout

by Archives November 4, 2008

The Concordia Stingers men’s hockey team brought home a hard-earned win Friday night, coming from behind to defeat the Carleton Ravens 3-2 in a shootout.
The Stingers, who are battling numerous injuries to key players, took awhile to get into the game but eventually laid everything on the line.
“The factors of the game were our character and perseverance,” head coach Kevin Figsby said. He also highlighted a strong effort from players that don’t get a lot of ice time.
“They stepped up,” he said, “This is a big win on the road for us.”
The Stingers were lacklustre in the opening minutes of the game, skating with heavy legs and clumsy sticks. The Ravens opened in scoring when Chris Boudeau-Mifflen got his stick on a shot for a deflection.
The next goal only came halfway through the second period, and was a result of miscommunication between Stingers goalie Maxime Joyal, and his defence. Joyal played the puck behind the net and passed it to his defenceman, who deflected it right onto the stick of Ravens forward Justin Caruana. While Joyal scrambled to get back to his net, Caruana didn’t miss the mesh.
The Stingers made their mark 10:58 into the second period on a power play. There was a scramble in front of Ravens goalie Alexander Archibald, and Stingers forward Mike Baslyk took a shot on net. The rebound bounced to the stick of Nicolas D’Aoust, who had a wide open net as Archibald desperately tried to stretch across. He couldn’t make the save, and the Stingers were back in the game.
The goal ignited them and the team finally started to show some emotion, as various skirmishes broke out with just five minutes left in the second. The Stingers had five men in the box, who repeatedly leaned over to chirp at the four Ravens sitting in the opposite box.
At 8:56 of the third, D’Aoust and Baslyk nearly capitalized on another beautiful play. D’Aoust made a bullet pass to Baslyk, streaking into the slot, and Baslyk fired a shot that rang the doorbell right on Archibald’s mask. After a brief time out, Concordia pulled their goalie with just under a minute to go. With the extra attacker, the Stingers’ dominant line joined forces to pot an amazing goal after a series of tic-tac-toe passes with just 12 seconds left. Baslyk was credited with the goal on the pretty play-he won more than 30 face-offs that night, and has registered at least one point in each of the eight games that the Stingers have played so far.
With the game tied at 2-2, overtime proved useless. The game then went to shootout and Stingers goalie Maxime Joyal didn’t mind one bit.
“I love shootouts,” he laughed, “The pressure and tension makes me play better. I thrive on it.”
Up first was D’Aoust for the Stingers, who skated wide then zeroed in but was stoned by Archibald’s right pad. Ravens forward Francis Walker couldn’t sneak one past Joyal. Baslyk was up next for the Stingers-he deked and toe-dragged the puck to his right, tucking it under the left pad and securing Concordia’s lead. Brandon Maclean for the Ravens couldn’t capitalize, and neither could Brad Gager for the Stingers. Ravens forward Andrew Gibbons roofed the puck past Joyal, so the Stingers sent out their captain, Simon-Pierre Sauve. Sauve, notably a clutch player, wrung the puck in off the crossbar confidently and nearly strutted to the bench.
“When you need your leader to lead, that’s when your captain shines through,” Figsby said. “He’s going to go down in Concordia history as one of the most dominant leaders that we’ve had, just from an inspirational perspective.”
“We knew if we put him out there, he was going to put the puck in the net. He had no doubt,” Figsby said.
When Raven Michael Testa couldn’t score for Carleton, Concordia sealed their road win with a final score of 3-2.