Get off your Arts

Tuesday, Jan. 20
Inauguration Ball @ Comedyworks (1238 Bishop Street)
It’s a cheap and dirty inauguration night special. Obama addressing the Nation and On The Spot Improv is going to be throwing the opposition party. That is, they will be poking fun at American history and all this political hoopla. It starts at 8:30, $5 for students.

3 Saisons, Cinema Beaubien (2396 Beaubien Street East)
If you want to do something that isn’t so red, white and blue, then Cinema Beaubien has a special soiree that will help out a good cause. For the premier of 3 Saisons, a film by Jim Donovan, all ticket sales will be going towards Les jeunes dans la rue. The film is about the homeless experience, 7 p.m., $10.50.

Thursday, Jan. 22
What the Body Told: Poetry and HIV @ H-110 (Hall Building)
Dr. Rafael Campo draws poetry from his experiences working with gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender people and people with HIV. Campo is a renowned physician at Harvard Medical School whose artistic accomplishments include many prestigious poetry awards. 6 p.m., free to the general public.

Friday, Jan. 23
Images in a time/ time of War @ VAV Gallery (1395 Rene Levesque West)Six experimental films explore six unique conflict experiences. One films takes you alongside Fatah’s film unit in the 1960’s. Another brings you a slice of life in pre-invasion Iraq. Another, filmed like a home movie, shows life in occupied Palestine.

DISTROBOTO 8th Anniversary @ Salla Rossa (4848 St. Laurent)
Louis Rastelli has been selling local writing, art and music out of refitted ciggy dispensers he calls DOSTROBOTO since 2001. It was featured as one of New York Times Magazine’s “Ideas of the Year.” Over 30,000 different works have been sold by 600 different artists in his machines around our city. Come celebrate the eighth anniversary for $8 at 9 p.m.