The creeping danger of ‘third-hand’ smoke

Those looking to keep their New Year’s resolution to stop smoking just got a new source of motivation, a warning against the dangers of thirdhand smoke.
Thirdhand smoke is the contaminated, a residual smoke that lingers in the air after a cigarette has been put out. This means the toxins from the cigarette you smoke in your living room, for example, can actually live on for several days in the fabrics present in the space.
According to a study conducted by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the effects of thirdhand smoke are so noxious, towards children in particular, that people should effectively stop smoking in homes.
André Beaulieu, spokesperson for the Quebec division of the Canadian Cancer Society, says the study’s message is clear – people should stop smoking altogether, especially if they have children.
Beaulieu agrees with the study’s findings, “The study demonstrates the dangers of an additional layer of toxicity,” he said. “We know of there’s a possibility tobacco smoke remains on the body and clothes.”
“Thirdhand smoke is not as dangerous as secondhand smoke, but we can use thirdhand smoke as a tool to encourage those wanting to quit,” Beaulieu said.
Next week is also the Quebec Lung Association’s yearly Semaine sans fumée (Tobacco Free Week), during which different organizations will urge the provincial government to enact new tobacco legislation regarding smoking in cars when children are present.
“The next revision for tobacco legislation is in 2010. Steps are being taken and slowly people are realizing the dangers of smoking and want to avoid exposing children as it is a health hazard,” Beaulieu said.