Waging the Wage Battle

When you graduate and finally begin job hunting, be sure you know what you’re worth.
When applying for positions, the majority of interviewers will ask you what your expected salary is. In order to be able to answer this question properly, you’ll have to research what you’re worth in the industry.
You can find this information by researching the industry average, asking around or even by asking the potential employer directly. While it might not be the best idea to blurt the question out in an interview, you can always ask human resources beforehand. Doing so can be interpreted as you being absolutely sure you want to work there. It also exhibits diligence and shows you don’t want to waste their time.
Once you figure out your worth and settle on an appropriate salary demand, keep that demand consistent with all your applications.
If you change the salary you’re seeking for a particular job, you should be very sure there are other aspects of the job that will make up for the missed salary. It’s also a good idea to know the maximum salary a business is willing to pay right now and down the road.
Sometimes job-hunters find more appealing positions through hiring firms. Many top companies have begun to outsource employee recruitment strategies. Hiring firms screen applicants then select the most qualified. Some firms take the step of arming you with a salary request they know the company will accept. But not all hiring firms have the same services.
Whether you are screened by a hiring firm or the business’ human resources department, you’ll have to negotiate your way to the salary you know you’re worth. Sometimes less qualified employees will earn a bigger salary than the newly-graduated employee. This is only because the less qualified worker has been in the workforce longer and is looking for an equivalent or increased salary to what their previous job offered.
Companies are not out to take advantage of new graduates; it’s the graduates who don’t take the time to figure out exactly how much money they can make in a given field. Your potential employer will not spend the time to determine your total value to the company. That is up to you.