Home Sports McGill stays perfect with sweep of Stingers

McGill stays perfect with sweep of Stingers

by Archives March 10, 2009

Having great success in pre-season tournaments didn’t help a depleted Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team. They ended a tumultuous season by getting eliminated from the playoffs by the No.1-nationally ranked McGill Martlets. McGill completed their best-of-three series with a sweep, beating the Stingers 4-1.
“It was a much better game all around,” said coach Les Lawton. “It’s the way we wanted to finish. I’m satisfied we didn’t get shut out.”
The team lost a tough first game against McGill by a decisive 11-2 margin (with Concordia actually getting on the board first). Goaltender Audrey Doyon-Lessard was bombarded with 50 shots in the game, and the Stingers they had to come out stronger in the second game at home Friday evening.
Scoring early has always been a weakness for the Stingers, who had only won three season matchups throughout the year, two against Ottawa, and one versus Carleton.
McGill scored a power play goal in the second game just under seven minutes in, with Stingers’ Devon Rich and Keely Covo both in the sin bin.
“I saw the first goal coming,” said Doyon-Lessard. “But it got deflected and changed direction.”
After 20 minutes the Stingers were still in the game, down by the lone goal, with the shots close at 13-7, including a breakaway by Concordia’s Donna Ringrose who was robbed by Martlets goaltender Charline Labonté.
The second period started with yet another Stinger in the penalty box, and McGill’s dominant power play went to work. It took them only 37 seconds to capitalize with the man advantage, with Alexandra Lind-Kenny whacking a bouncing puck right inside the crease to double their lead.
At the seven-minute mark of the period McGill blueliner Stacie Tardif was assessed a holding call and Concordia had a chance to cut the lead.
Thirty-eight seconds later, they did just that.
After keeping it in their zone the puck ended in front of Labonté and Ringrose took a few whacks until the red light came on and the Stingers celebrated.
We had a game.
Unfortunately just under two minutes later Stingers Kelly Feehan took a body checking call, and the power play markers did it again, this time from rearguard Cathy Chartrand.
Martlets forward Marie-Andrée Leclerc-Auger added a final tally to make the score 4-1 by the end of the second frame.
The Stingers defence was able to contain the potent McGill offence in the third, and Doyon-Lessard backstopped all the shots she faced in the final period, making a total of 34 saves on the evening.
It was too little, too late.
Playing in her final game as a Stinger, captain Latoures took the ice with 26 seconds left However, with 13 seconds left to play, she took a high-sticking call and ended her illustrious career with Concordia in the penalty box.
Next season, the Stingers will have a new opponent in their conference as Université de Montréal will get a women’s hockey team.
“They’re going to compete right away,” said Lawton. “They will have growing pains, but they will compete.”
The addition of the new team means the top four teams in the conference will advance to the postseason.
“Having Université de Montréal in the league adds to the ‘fun’,” said defence Alynn Doiron. “It’s a new change.”