Montreal’s festivals in the near future

Fall
1)    Pop Montreal (Sept. 30 – Oct. 4): an international music festival celebrating Montreal as well as international artists. Festivities include art events, film screenings and a market where artists can sell their goods, called Puces Pop. This years headliners include Butthole Surfers, Roxanne Shante, Diamanda Galas and many more. Tickets: concerts $17 – $50 at door or in advance at Cinema du Parc. Festival passes are also available.

2) Rocky Horror Show (usually Oct. 30 to Nov.  1) The annual viewing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Rialto Theatre (5723 Park ave), is more like a party than a screening. Viewers yell at the screen, throw rice and toilette paper (all at the proper moments) and come dressed as an array of Rocky characters. Check out www.rockyhorrormontreal.com for more.

3) M for Montreal (Nov. 19 to 21): A music festival showcasing “export ready” Montreal artists to industry professionals. There is also the mini-M series devoted to local artists at the beginning of their careers held at Foufounes Électriques. Tickets are not yet available.

Winter
4)    Igloo Fest (Jan. 16-17, 23-24, 30-31): An all night party at Jacques-Cartier Pier in the freezing cold; the only way to stay warm is to dance. With contests like the wacky one piece winter suit competition and festive drinks such as mulled wine, it is destined to be a good, good night. Tickets are $5 before 7:30 p.m or $10 after.

5) Wildside Festival (mid January): A fringe theater festival held at the Centaur Theater. Student tickets are $10 a show or $40 for 5 shows. Last years shows included a brother and sister duo from Germany who told their story through punk songs. The shows generally rock. Hard.

6) Auto show (Jan. 15 to 24): A car show that features everything from chance vintage automobiles to fuel-efficient cars. Last year, the public got to test drive some fuel-efficient cars around the Palais de Congrès. Get there early to get a chance behind the wheel.

7) High Lights Festival (Feb. 18 to 28): A diverse festival offering fun outdoor winter activities (slides, skating) with the arts (music, circus arts, theatre, dance, wine tasting and food tasting) as well as an all night party (called Nuit Blanche) with many activities and festivities planned. Even the metro stays open all night!
8) Voices of the Americas (February): A festival where poets, writers, storytellers and spoken-word artists show off their talents in English, French, Spanish and many other languages.

Spring
9) Under The Snow (mid-March): An independent music festival that features bands in varied genres, such as experimental rock and electronic music. Last year’s festival included local band The Furlongs and British Yellow6.

10) International Festival of Films on Art (mid-March): More than 250 films from all around the world are screened in many venues, including the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the
National Film Board Cinema.