When you Need Real Help, go to the Pros

It’s only a week into the school year, but the work – and the stress that comes with it – is already piling up. And many students don’t know where to go for treatment and advice.
Talking to friends or drowning your stress at the bar are options, but when push comes to shove, the guy who lives down the hall isn’t a doctor, and might not know the best way to treat the problem at hand.
So, sometimes a student might need guidance that’s a little more professional.
There are a variety of health services offered on-campus at Concordia, but it seems students often don’t think of taking advantage of them.
Jamie Thomas, a first year therapeutic recreation student, said he has no idea where Concordia Health Services is located. “But if I knew more about it I would give it a consideration,” he said.
Even students who spent years studying at Concordia don’t know where Health Services is. “I always wondered where it was located,” said Stephanie Liteplo, who graduated from Sociology in 2008. “I assumed it was at one of the main buildings.”
For the record, Concordia University’s Health Services has two locations, tucked away at both campuses.
Most of the information and services at the facilities reflect the mandate to serve all Concordia students.
“Because the therapists and staff at Health Services are part of the Concordia community, they are up-to-date with campus resources, academic regulations and withdrawal deadlines,” said Angie Turbiano, the clinical coordinator. “We’re able to help students with medical issues to navigate this complex system,” she said. “So, I would say our greatest strength is our knowledge of the Concordia community and the links we have developed to assist our clients.”
The most common health issues students deal with are contraception, mental health, sexually transmitted infection testing and respiratory tract infections, according to Trubiano.
Trubiano also added that every Concordia student is welcome to benefit from their services.
“We removed some of the financial constraints for out-of-province and international students,” she said, explaining that the clinic will deal directly with insurance providers, and students carrying out-of-province health cards will not have to pay for a visit.
Visit www-health.concordia.ca for more information.