Enrolment up in universities across the province

Quebec universities are reporting the biggest increase in enrolment since 2003. Across the province, overall enrolment rose by 3.8 per cent. While full time registration went up by 6.2 per cent, part time registration dropped by less than one per cent. The biggest increase was at the graduate level, which saw an increase of 10.6 per cent.
“There are a number of factors that would explain these increases,” said Chantal Pouliot, director of communications for the Conference of Rectors and Principals of Quebec Universities.
“The current economic recession would be one, we know that there have been a significant number of lost jobs, so people would go back to have new degrees or new training. We have new programs that have been implemented at universities as well. And also international student recruitment has been stepped up.”
Pouliot said the Conference will be watching the effect the increase has on Quebec universities.
“It’s going to be interesting to follow for the years to come, to see how it’s going to impact on their total numbers.”
Currently, over 180,000 students study full-time at Quebec universities, while a little under 87,000 students are enrolled part time.
Pouliot said that the increases shouldn’t have an effect on universities’ bottom line, because provincial funding is on a per-student basis.
However Concordia University president, Judith Woodsworth, raised concerns at a board of governors meeting in late September, that overall provincial funding would not rise with the increase.
Concordia saw its enrolment increase by 4.6 per cent. The biggest increase was in post-graduate programs, with 12.7 per cent.
McGill saw an increase of 2.6 per cent. Its biggest gain was also in post-graduate programs, with 5.2 per cent. Bishop’s University experienced the biggest increase among Quebec’s English universities, with an increase of 6.3 per cent, all of which came from undergraduate programs.
While only two of Quebec’s 18 universities had decreases in enrolment, the picture has been a little more mixed in the rest of the country.
“They’re all reporting different kinds of trends, generally increases,” Leslie Cole, communications officer, with the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
“Some schools in B.C. and Alberta have seen quite large increases.”
However, she said her organization had not yet received final numbers from across the country.

By the numbers:

Students at Quebec universities: over 260,000
Increase in Quebec university enrollment: 3.8 % Increase in full time enrollment: 6.2 %
Increase at Concordia: 4.6 % (1,400 students)

By the numbers: