Feminist myths debunked

FREDERICTON (CUP) &- I am a feminist. When men find out this little detail about me, they usually display either terror or extreme dislike.
The issue is not my feminism, but others’ misunderstanding of what feminism really is. People have ingrained connotations of feminists as bra burning wild women who are out to stomp men with their combat boots. My brand of feminism is not about hating men; it’s about ending oppression.
I am a proponent of liberal feminism. My thinking is this: men are no better than women, and women are no better than men. We are all human beings, and we start out on the same level. We should be judged on our character and the way we treat others, not by our gender.
Feminism is about ending oppression &- not just for women, but for other oppressed groups as well, including racial minorities, the poor, people with disabilities, children, and people of misunderstood and underrepresented religions.
Anyone who claims to be a true feminist and stands up for women will also stand up for other groups who face hard times.
Many people would argue that women are not facing severe oppression anymore. They would argue that we’ve more than caught up, and ask, “What about men?”
I need to speak against this mindset. Women face some form of subtle oppression every day &- leering, ass-grabbing in bars, drive-by catcalls. I wouldn’t have the time to sit and count the number of times a man has stared at my breasts instead of my face during conversation.
Yes, women are beautiful. But no, this kind of behaviour is not taken as a compliment. Most of the time when women are singled out as sex objects, they feel worthless and good for nothing but their bodies.
When I’m harassed like this, it feels as if all of my accomplishments as a person have been erased, and all that remains are my physical traits.
I work hard to develop myself as a person, both intellectually and spiritually. Why, then, should I be paid attention to only for my looks?
Men who objectify women need to know that their behaviour is extremely disheartening and hurtful for women.
The men who do the objectifying also need to understand that they’re hurting nice, respectful guys’ chances to meet women, as well as their own chances. If a woman goes to a bar and constantly runs into unwanted sexual attention, chances are she won’t return.
Perhaps the worst thing is that, after all of our years of fighting to be free of sexual exploitation, women also act as harassers.
I was discussing this subject with a couple of male friends recently, and they immediately said “Whoa” when I began bashing the actions of men in bars.
It turned out they had recently gone to a bar together and a woman had run over to them, shouted “Boys!” and simultaneously grabbed both of their penises.
Really?
Really. This issue is not only man to woman. It is woman to man, woman to woman, and man to man.
Why should people get away with this kind of behaviour when its only effects are negative?
Because they can, that’s why. More men and women need to speak out for their right to be treated as human beings, with respect.
The next time someone grabs your butt in a bar, do not shrug it off. Do not let yourself be abused. Grab the person by the arm and say something.
If you don’t stand up for yourself, you put yourself in a situation where your self-worth can be diminished.
True, chances are nothing will come of your rebuke. But maybe, just maybe, the person who assaulted you will be surprised and check themselves.

Really?