Stingers slide in muddy match up VS Citadins

The Concordia Stingers men’s soccer team lost in a close game against the UQAM Citadins with a final score of 1-0.
Though this has not been a stellar season for the Stingers, it was clear from the start of the game that the undefeated UQAM team had met its match in Concordia. The first half had both teams sprinting up and down the field trying to gain control of the ball. Within the first few minutes the Stingers had their first shot on net, breaking through the Citadins’ defense but the shot went just wide of the net. A downpour of rain made victory difficult, sending players on both sides slipping and sliding down the field.
As the half progressed both sides attempted to seize the opportunity to take the lead putting Stingers goaltender, Khalid Ismail, to the test. Constantly in control of the situation, Ismail blocked every shot that came his way.
Thirty minutes in, the Citadins landed their first and only goal on a penalty shot. Determined to get it back, the Stingers played harder than ever, keeping the ball in UQAM territory for the rest of the half.
The second half started out in the Stingers’ corner with the Citadins having three shots on net in the first three minutes, but Ismail and his defencemen held their own. Finally getting the ball out of their corner, the Stingers fought to make a comeback and were cheered on by fans that braved the rain to come support their boys.
Concordia consistently kept the ball in enemy territory throughout the rest of the game and continued to pull off a series of impressive plays. Though it seemed close at times they could not manage to get the ball in the net. Stingers’ player Bryan Bourbonnais had two shots on net in as many minutes but failed to land them.
“It was a pretty evenly matched game,” said head coach Lloyd Barker. “When you take an early goal it really changes the tone of the game.”
When asked if the game would have gone the same way without the Citadins’ penalty shot, Barker responded, ” They got some breaks of course […] Offensively, I think we had better quality as far as technique. In the final third, we were in their box enough and we created enough danger to score.”

0

Perfect record no more

Myspace Links

When asked if the game would have gone the same way without the Citadins’ penalty shot, Barker responded, ” They got some breaks of course [.] Offensively, I think we had better quality as far as technique. In the final third, we were in their box enough and we created enough danger to score.”

0

Student Corner Needs your Submissions!

Corrections