Opening Concordia?s visual dialogue

Sometimes the best candy is calorie-free.
Concordia’s Art Education department is displaying eye candy, excuse me, artistic works from 17 undergraduate and graduate artists, as well as a few pieces by alumni this week at the VAV gallery.
The theme of the show, entitled Dialogix, is to promote open conversation and allow for limitless expression. The art on display is partially interactive and from many different mediums, such as painting, photography, print media and architectural installations.
Maya Grubisic, one of Dialogix’s artists and organizers, says the art education showcase is a great way to demonstrate that its students are not simply art educators, but practicing artists as well.

“There are sometimes assumptions that such faculties as art education and others, for example, do not produce good work since we are not considered to be studying studio arts,” Grubisic said via email. “This shows proves that these types of generalizations are completely wrong.”
The conversations found within the pieces of art vary; some are private thoughts strewn across a canvas while other are open discourses between the creator and the viewer.
“By displaying all these works of art together within the gallery space, each work’s respective discourse will expand as the individual pieces begin to converse not only with the viewers, but also with the other works,” Grubisic said.

As for those new to the art scene, Grubisic says the exhibit can be enjoyed by all, as even those with no experience in the world of visual arts can gain some appreciation for the medium.
“Art shows are great places to be, especially at the vernissage which is like a small art party with beer and wine, where you can meet great people and speak with the artists involved if you have any questions,” Grubisic said. “Nothing scary, all fun and definitely worth going to.”

Dialogix vernissage is Feb. 16 from 7 to 9 p.m. The exibit is on display at the VAV gallery until Feb. 26. Admission is free.