Bars, beers, bulls and karaoke?

The Montreal night life is undeniably a thing to experience, but on a student budget the cover, dress code and drink prices of clubs in the city aren’t always an option. Thankfully, the bar scene is more than accommodating to every person, preference and price range. Whether you’re looking to sing your heart out, or just have a casual drink with friends, here’s a few of our favourite bars you may want to check out.

Favourite Terrace: Le Saint Sulpice Bar (1680 St-Denis St.)

Now and then, this city actually does get some good weather and a great way to enjoy it is on the massive terrace at Saint-Sulpice. With an outdoor bar to go along with almost a block’s worth of hang-out space, the terrace is something to see, especially when it fills up with hundreds of people. When that breeze gets a little too chilly, you can also head inside to one of the ten bars and many themed floors, including a top floor dance room.

Favourite NDG Bar: Honey Martin’s (5916 Sherbrooke St. W)

A quaint little dig right on Sherbrooke St., it’s the perfect hangout for the relaxed artsy student who wants fun outside of downtown. Along with a good selection on tap, you can enjoy the generally young crowd, some live local music and Tuesday trivia nights. Definitely a favourite for those living in the Deeg.

Favourite Karaoke: La Boîte à Karaoke (2071, Ste-Catherine St. W)

If you’ve got a little Celine Dion in you that you just need to let out, La Boîte à Karaoke (Karaoke Box) is the place to go. Four-litre pitchers and Canadian Idol generally means absolutely awful singing and we wouldn’t want it any other way. The Box offers a wide selection of songs, beers and inevitable laughs just about every night of the week. Get there early, though, because space is limited.

Favourite Student Spot: Reggie’s (1455, de Maisonneuve Blvd. W)

Reggie’s is Concordia’s very own student bar, on campus in the Hall building. It’s not the place for beer of very high quality, but you just can’t beat the atmosphere and you’re surrounded by your peers. It’s a must for first years looking to make friends around their own age at a place they’re familiar with. Just bring a few bucks for cover and coat check.

Favourite Happy Hour: Brutopia (1215 Crescent St.)

At Brutopia, happy hour could probably be called happy week. The bar offers happy hour prices from opening until 8 p.m. every day except Monday, when all day and night it’s happy hour! Happy hour for an entire day means lots of happy students and a smaller dent in the wallet. The eight beers on tap that they brew themselves also add a different flavour to your drinking repertoire.

Favourite Theme Bar: Candi Bar (1148 Mont Royal Ave. E)

Have a sweet tooth? New on the Montreal bar scene, Candi Bar has been catching more and more good press for their candy-themed, provocative ambience. Candy machines at every table, sweet drinks with ring pops included, and urinals that are shaped like the Rolling Stones’ lips make for an interesting and unique bar experience. Still, drinks are a little heavy on the wallet, making this a once-in-a-while stop rather than an everyday spot.

Favourite Mechanical Bull: Chez Serge (5301 St. Laurent Blvd.)

We say favourite, but we pretty much mean only. What else is there to say? There’s a mechanical bull for you to ride to your heart’s content. You need to go out of your way to get there and it’s nowhere close to school, but you’re guaranteed at least ten or so seconds of fun and a lesson in how alcohol affects your coordination. Good times.

Favourite Sports Bar: Sports Station (2051 Ste-Catherine St. W)

With Habs fever about to start again, a good sports bar is a necessity and Sports Station is designed for that very purpose. TVs line the walls of the joint, which, while small, is always full of sports fans who will yell, cheer and scream at referees right along with you. They can also cook you up a solid meal or munchies, not to mention there are tables with keg taps implanted directly in them for your personal pouring needs. Doesn’t get much better than that.

All of these bars are tried and true, but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go out exploring the tons and tons of small dives on your own. Find a spot and make it your own. And, of course, for those nights when you do go out for a drink (or seven), here are some valuable numbers to save in the cell:

Nez Rouge (designated driver service, only available 9 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.): (514) 256-2510

Atlas Taxi: (514) 485-8585

Taxi Co-op: (514) 725-9885

Atlas Taxi: (514) 485-8585

Taxi Co-op: (514) 725-9885