Summer news headlines

Obama pulls troops out of Iraq and announces the combat mission in Iraq is over at the end of August.

Devastating floods in Pakistan affect 17 million people, destroy homes and leave over 1,000 casualties. The world is slow to respond in emergency aid dollars.

BP spill finally plugged after what seems like forever. Tourism and fishing is hard on the US gulf coast after what is already a hard summer for American jobs. A second explosion occurs at a nearby oil rig, but no one is killed and no oil spilled.

The Harper governments scraps the long-form census on June 20 citing concern over citizens’ privacy and Canadian are up in arms. Advocacy groups worry that without the census, they will lose the statistics they need to justify their programs. Heads of Statistics Canada Munir Sheik resigns in disagreement with the decision.

Plans to build a mosque near Ground Zero sparks controversy. Some feel like this is an affront to the victims of Sept. 11, others think opposing the project is xenophobic. Major players weigh in: Mayor Michael Bloomber is a strong supporter of the cause; President Obama is cautiously on the pro side. Sarah Palin hates it.

Thirty-three Chilean miners trapped underground are found alive and well, and Chileans rejoice. Digging them out may take several months.

Nineteen concertgoers are crushed to death in a stampede at the Love Parade in Germany in July.