Home Nation in brief: Oct. 12, 2010

Nation in brief: Oct. 12, 2010

by admin October 12, 2010

Loss of 6,600 jobs shows Canadian economy slowing

The first half of 2010 saw Canada’s economy make substantial gains, but in September things seriously slowed down according to a recent StatsCan report. The Canadian economy lost a total of 6,600 jobs last month, the majority coming from the part-time employment where 44,000 jobs were lost in comparison to the 37,000 full-time jobs gained. The numbers may be a result of students heading back to school, the report said, which would also explain the unemployment rate decreasing by 0.1 per cent as less young people were looking for work. Prince Edward Island took over the highest unemployment rate from Newfoundland in September, with 13.6 per cent.

Gambler has bad luck in court

Nova Scotia’s Supreme Court shut down a gambling addict’s attempt to hold the provincial government, and Sydney Casino responsible for his hefty losses of approximately $500,000. Gambler Paul Burrell’s lawsuit was dismissed with the judge citing a lack of legal basis to hold the two parties responsible for his own actions, the CBC reported. Burrell reportedly claimed casino staff, knowing he had a gambling problem, should have intervened as he amounted losses which eventually cost him his house and family.

Black widows making home in Toronto area

A man from Mississauga became the latest Ontario resident to come face to face with North America’s most venomous spider. This week, Antonio Nicoletti spotted a black widow spider in his garage, making him the fourth winemaker in the greater Toronto area to encounter the potentially deadly arachnid since September. Nicoletti believes the spider probably came in a crate of grapes he purchased which was imported from California. Despite the four incidents in the last five weeks, authorities said that there is no infestation and people should rest easy. As for Nicoletti’s spider, the Mississaugan chose to keep it in a jar instead of killing it, which sounds like the perfect start to a sequel of Arachnophobia.

Red Bull and Phaneuf close Confederation bridge

The longest bridge in Canada apparently wasn’t long enough for energy drink makers Red Bull, who felt the need to completely shut down Confederation Bridge for a few minutes so that they could film an ad with Toronto Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf. “Neon” Dion had all 12.9 kilometres of road to himself as he ran along being filmed by a low flying helicopter, CBC News reported. The premise of the commercial was that Phaneuf was working out in P.E.I. and decided to make his way to Toronto … on foot. Red Bull reportedly only asked to have the bridge closed the day before the shoot which, since they were successful, begs the question as to whether those in charge of the landmark should maybe reconsider their screening process. Or perhaps they just took pity on Phaneuf since it was around Confederation when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.