Music in the news: Nov. 23, 2010

I’ll take cream and sugar with my Wilco

Wilco’s latest release will be in coffee bean format. The alt-country rockers have paired up with Chicago coffee brewer Intelligentsia to release their very own “Wilco Selects” brand. Band members Pat Sansone and John Stirratt personally selected the beans, which come from the Sidama region of Ethiopia and are grown by the Homecho Waeno co-op. According to the band’s website, the coffee “has a light and silky quality, like fresh whipped cream, that beautifully compliments the ever-present note of citron, juniper berry and vanilla. As it cools, the cup blossoms into notes of confectioner’s sugar, rosehips and soft raisin, resonating on a pristine finish with a touch of milk chocolate.”

Pre-orders for the beans, sold at $21 a pound, are being taken on their website until Nov. 28.

Apple & Apple: Cue the “long and winding road” puns

After years of waiting, Beatles fans were finally able to purchase the fab gour’s music on iTunes as of last Tuesday. All 13 studio albums, as well as the Red, Blue and Past Masters compilations are now available for download. There is also a $149 box set comprising every studio album, the Past Masters compilation and a video of the 1964 Washington Coliseum Show, their first U.S. concert. With the Beatles now having joined the iTunes catalogue, there remain but a handful of big artists, including AC/DC, Tool and Bob Seger, who are still holding out on the digital media store giant.

Why we moved out of our treehouse a while ago

Folk legend Joan Baez was injured last Wednesday after slipping and falling 20 feet from a treehouse platform at her Woodside, Calif. residence. The 69-year-old “Diamonds & Rust” singer sleeps on the platform, purposely built without walls, all summer long so that she can nap among the birds. Baez is currently resting in a secure location according Nancy Lutzow, who runs Baez’s production company.

Will their chemistry work on television?

My Chemical Romance is hoping that their latest album Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys will make for good TV. Frontman Gerard Way expressed his interest in the album becoming a “10-part BBC mini-series.” This is not the first time the Jersey-based rockers have thought about crossing mediums. The band had previously entertained the notion of putting their last album, The Black Parade, on the big screen but ultimately decided against it, saying, “it didn’t feel right. It wasn’t a movie, it was an album.” Of the current mini-series concept, Way said “I would love that so much more than a movie. A lot of things that inspired me as a kid were those very things.” Danger Days hit North American store shelves on Monday.

I’ll take cream and sugar with my Wilco