City in brief: Jan. 11, 2011

Kofi in April

At their Dec. 9 meeting, ASFA councillors voted unanimously to withdraw $11,500 from their special projects fund to purchase 500 tickets for Youth Action Montreal, to be held in April at the Palais des Congrès. Banking on the success of the 2007 event, which saw David Suzuki and Al Gore address students on climate change, this year’s conference is themed “Less talk, more action,” and will feature former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan. ASFA president Aaron Green indicated he was confident that his group will be able to sell all their tickets to arts and science students once they go on sale at the end of January. The profits will then be deposited back into the SPF, which is destined to help fund certain initiatives taken on by ASFA’s member associations and which totalled close to $26,000 before the Dec. 9 vote.

ConU wins Jeux du Commerce gold

The 23rd annual Jeux du Commerce wrapped up on Monday and Concordia’s John Molson School of Business walked away with the top prize. Held from Jan. 7-10 at the University of Ottawa’s Telfer School of Management, this year’s Jeux du Commerce saw JMSB take first in both the finance and strategy elements, helping to lead them to the Patrice Bourbonnais Award for overall standing. Marianna Luciano of JMSB was also named volunteer of year. The Jeux du Commerce event has been growing steadily since its inception in 1989, and this year the competition saw over 1,200 business students from 13 universities participating.

CSU VP finance steps down

For the second time since Concordia Student Union general elections last spring, the VP finance of the CSU has resigned. At the CSU’s Dec. 8 council meeting, Zhuo Ling announced he would be stepping down as of Jan. 4, 2011, citing an inability to fulfill the time commitment required of the position. Ling took over the position of VP finance from Nikki Tsoflikis who resigned near the end of the 2010 winter semester. VP clubs and outreach Ramy Khoriaty was chosen by the CSU to take over the finance position for the remainder of this school year, and has also consequently become director of the student union’s business branch CUSACorp. As of press time, Ling was still listed as VP finance on the CSU website.

Graduation application now online

Students looking to graduate this coming spring will now have to head online to fill in their applications. On the MyConcordia website there is now a “graduation application” link under the student services tab. Students will be prompted to fill in their information before making the required $40 credit card payment. The deadline to apply for spring 2011 convocation is this Saturday, Jan. 15, after which applicants will be charged a late fee. The convocation ceremonies will be held on June 20, 21 or 22 depending on your faculty.

Kofi in April

ConU wins Jeux du Commerce gold

CSU VP finance steps down

Graduation application now online