New shuttle bus schedule shows a longer wait between buses during the day

Concordia University’s shuttle bus service underwent some changes during the winter break as students will now be forced to wait a little longer for bus departures from both campuses during the day.

Last semester, Concordia students were expected to wait approximately 10 to 15 minutes between two buses during the 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m period on Monday to Thursday. The updated shuttle schedule for the winter semester however indicates that students must brace the cold and wait 20 to 25 minutes between buses during that same period in between morning and evening rush hours.

Despite the suddenness of the change, the seeming decrease in service does not have to do with financial cutbacks, according to Concordia’s media relations director Chris Mota. She said that the schedule change is solely the result of the city’s ongoing construction and traffic.

“It’s out of the school’s control,” Mota said. “Buses are simply incapable of making the trip in the same amount of time they would in previous semesters.” Certain roads being rebuilt and the construction of the super hospital is slowing down Concordia shuttle buses, Mota explained, adding that this is a case of the school just being honest with expected wait times.

“They don’t want to post an unrealistic schedule for students.”

Concordia’s honesty is making some students uneasy, however. Economics student Mario Armenti is finding it difficult to make it on time for some of his classes at the Loyola campus. “Sometimes my classes at the Loyola campus are shortly after my classes downtown, and with this new schedule I might be late for class, which is never fun,” Armenti said.

Armenti isn’t the only one with doubts about the schedule change. Political science student Marie-Ashley Ventrella thinks Concordia should invest in more buses to help counter the wait. Ventrella also added that she felt the wait time “for the shuttle from Loyola campus is longer,” and that the drivers shouldn’t wait around for more than five minutes or so once the line of students have entered the bus.

Her concerns were addressed at least in part by Mota who said “the employees are trying to move as fast as possible, and once a bus arrives at the destination they try to leave quickly too.”