Wildside: Hypnogogic Logic

Hypnogogic Logic once again casts the crew of Uncalled For (Matt Goldberg, Dan Jeannotte, Nicolas Wright and Anders Yates) in the roles of interchangeable and quirky personalities. They take the audience through a spider web of dreams within a dream, from game shows, to old ladies having a chinwag, to a sudden war zone. Confusing? Maybe at first ? but this warped world can seem all too real in the hypnogogic, or semi-conscious state that straddles wakefulness and sleep.

The series of skits focuses on the mildly hallucinogenic state before dreaming and the complexities of the dreamworld. Each skit is based on emotions, sensations or the search for meaning in our lives. The members of Uncalled For keep everyone on their toes: for all they know, the person sitting next to them is in on the act. For one, members of the audience pop up and break out into song.

The ideas behind the skits are unsurprisingly far-fetched, but the bizarre situations manage to include and connect with the audience. Through the utter havoc they create on stage, Uncalled For draws our attention to the world that we explore every night ? a world in which time doesn’t exist, where you can interpret portentous truths that aren’t as clear to you in everyday life. It’s a world where we’re the masters of our own universe: we can experience freefalling, paranoia, and being great at everything.

Hypnogogic Logic plays Jan. 13 and 15.

Hypnogogic Logic plays Jan. 13 and 15.