Sports: the year in review

Stingers guard Decee Krah averaged 16.1 points per game and topped all Stingers in three-point shooting. Archives

It was a year of success, upset and vast improvement for Concordia, for the teams and for individual players alike. Here’s a look at how the Stingers fared in the 2010-2011 season.

Football

Record: 4-5, eight points

Playoffs: No

Noteworthy player: After fifth-year quarterback Rob Mackay suffered a concussion in the season opener, Terrance Morsink was thrust into the starting position for the remainder of the year. Morsink led the conference in pass attempts with 302, but his undoing was the 18 interceptions he threw.

Baseball

Record: 11-5, 22 points

Playoffs: Yes — went to Nationals and lost in the semifinal

Notes: The Stingers faced McGill in the Quebec final. They dropped the first game, but won the second. In the final game of the series, Concordia scored what proved to be the winning run in the second inning, and they advanced to the Nationals. The Brock Badgers spoiled the story when they beat the Stingers 3-0 in the semifinals.

Men’s soccer

Record: 2-8-2, eight points

Playoffs: No

Noteworthy players: The team gelled in the latter part of the year, and captain David Cerasuolo was a key factor in their cohesion. Forward Matthijs Eppinga, a Dutch exchange student, told the Concordian earlier this year that “the capabilities of this team didn’t completely come out.” He led the team offensively with six goals and an assist.

Women’s soccer

Record: 2-9-3, nine points

Playoffs: No

Notes: The team only scored five goals all season, and forward Sarah Burge scored two of them. Goalkeeper Andrea Davidson was also regularly busy. She played in all 14 games — that’s 1,260 minutes — and her goals against average was 2.79.

Men’s rugby

Record: 5-1, 10 points

Playoffs: Yes — lost to McGill in Quebec conference final

Notes: The Redmen and Stingers split their two regular season matchups but Concordia won the game right before they met in the final. Halfway through the final game, Stingers centre Auguste Stoker was ejected from the game after receiving two yellow cards, and Concordia was forced to play the second half of the game one man short.

Women’s rugby

Record: 6-0, 12 points

Playoffs: Yes — brought home the silver medal after losing to St. FX in overtime in the National finals.

Notes: This was the first gold-medal game the women’s rugby team had ever played in. Coach Graeme McGravie and third-year player Jackie Tittley were named coach of the year and All-Canadian, respectively, at a gala banquet during Nationals weekend.

Men’s hockey

Record: 12-14-2, 26 points

Playoffs: Yes — lost to UQTR in the first round

Highlight: At the end of October, the Stingers were ranked ninth in the CIS standings. It was their first top-10 appearance in over 10 years.

Notes: When it comes to the Stingers and Patriotes, the home team had the advantage — neither team ever won a game in the opposing team’s arena. This was also the final season in maroon and gold for captain Marc-André Element and defenceman Jesse Goodsell.

Women’s hockey

Record: 8-9-3, 19 points

Playoffs: Yes — fell to Montréal in the first round

Noteworthy player: Goalie Audrey Doyon-Lessard shone regularly for the team, posting a .924 save percentage and 2.74 goals against average. She was voted Quebec MVP in a unanimous decision by the other four coaches in the division.

Notes: “We won a lot more games than we have in the last three years,” affirmed forward Keely Covo. Last year, the Stingers’ record was 1-16-3, and the year before, it was 3-13-2.

Men’s basketball

Record: 12-4, 24 points

Playoffs: Yes — went all the way to nationals, lost both games

Notes: This team did a total 180 after finishing last season with a 4-12 record. Head coach John Dore told CUP at Nationals that this was “a team that people picked to finish fourth in our conference. Nobody thought we’d get out of our conference — not only did we get out, we got better and better as the year went on.”

Women’s basketball

Record: 9-7, 18 points

Playoffs: Yes — lost in the first round to UQAM

Highlight: Won Nike Tournament at home over the Christmas holidays

Noteworthy players: Kendra Carrie and Yasmin Jean-Philippe are in their final year of eligibility. The two players had the second and third highest point totals on the team this year, 175 and 155, respectively. Rookie Kaylah Barrett had the highest point total (184). She was named to the CIS all-rookie team, and will definitely be counted on to put up points next year.

With files from Christopher Palma and Stefano Mocella