ASFA nomination period extended until Thursday

In a letter recently sent to its council, the Arts and Science Federation of Associations executive extended the application deadline for positions up for grabs in the October byelection.
“We didn’t feel there was enough time to properly train a CEO [chief electoral officer], but also not enough time to spread the word about applying for positions in general,” said ASFA president Alex Gordon.
Council had originally stipulated at its Sept. 15 meeting that the nomination period would run from Sept. 19 to 23, with the polling period taking place between Oct. 5 and 6. The nomination period has now been extended until Sept. 29, while the byelection is scheduled to happen on Oct. 12 and 13.
The three positions that need to be filled are VP external and sustainability, VP communications, and independent councillor. The first position only recently became vacant following the departure of Asma Omar. Her letter of resignation was read by Gordon at the Sept. 15 council meeting.
“Her reasons didn’t really go in-depth; just that her personal life has to take precedence and she didn’t feel she had the time necessary to devote to ASFA,” said Gordon.
Gordon explained that no other executive has really stepped in to fill Omar’s role, saying that there is very little going on at the moment on the external or sustainability front. He did mention however that all members of his team have done their part to fill in for the VP communications, a position that received no applications in last spring’s general election.
“We’ve learned how to manage the website and things like that, so there’s definitely more upkeep on that front,” he said.
Before actually proceeding with a byelection, ASFA needs a chief electoral officer. The position became vacant following last year’s general election when Nick Cuillerier declined to return for a second year, citing a busy academic schedule. Cuillerier, widely praised for his role as CEO last spring, has since become chair of the Concordia Student Union council.
ASFA will continue to accept applications until Tuesday, Sept. 27 for the position of CEO, as well as for the position of CEO for its member association elections. Gordon said some students have expressed interest in the position, while other students have picked up application forms for the three open positions in the October byelection. Gordon said on Sept. 26 that no applications had yet to be returned to the ASFA office.
Resignations of student representatives at the beginning of the school year have proven to be a common occurrence; the Concordia Student Union already lost four councillors before its September meeting. But Gordon said he doesn’t believe resignations at ASFA represent ‘a trend.’
“I think it’s relatively clear to people what they’re getting into when they apply, but we’re going to reiterate it,” he said.
Also on the byelection ballot are two referendum questions: one changes the VP communications title to communications and promotions, and the second adding sponsorship and fundraising initiatives to the VP external portfolio.

Interested applicants can email [email protected] or pick up an application form at ASFA’s office, 2070 Mackay St., 4th floor.