Concordia women grab first win of the season

The Concordia women’s soccer team came into the weekend after losing two matches they very much could have at least tied if not won.
This weekend saw them facing two Montreal teams from McGill and Université du Québec à Montréal, and for the first time this season, the Stingers came away with a win.
“It feels good,” said captain Shannon Travers. “Now we’ve got out of the slump, so we can start getting a positive spirit on the team.”
The first half of the Sunday game against UQAM saw a settled and confident side of Concordia that controlled the majority of the play but failed to get any real chances on the UQAM net.
In the second half, coach Jorge Sanchez used speedy substitutes Gabriela Padvaiskas and Marie-Lou Hamel who immediately changed the pace of the game.
Jennifer Duff put Concordia up eight minutes into the second half, when she pounced on a bouncing ball that she popped over UQAM keeper Constance Laroche-Lefebvre with a header.
UQAM came surging back, but defender Lindsey Brooks stopped striker Sabrina Addona from being alone on net with a perfectly timed challenge.
“We wanted to dictate the pace of the game,” said Sanchez praising the speed and effectiveness of his team. “Above everything else the goal was three points.”
The back four showed poise and control in Sunday’s game, as they did not want a repeat of the previous three games where they gave up second half goals that cost them the win.
“We kept our composure,” said Travers. “Once we got the lead we made sure we kept it.”
The match at McGill on Friday showed promise.
Down 1-0, Stingers’ substitute Gabriela Padvaiskas made an instant impact assisting on Jennifer Duff’s goal to draw the game even.
A couple of mistakes in the back cost the Stingers dearly as they conceded two goals in the second half, losing 3-1.
Though inexperienced, the slew of first-year players on the team, such as Padvaiskas and Hamel, add a new image and a spark that the Stingers needed.
“I think it’s a positive thing that we have a new bunch of players,” said Travers. “There’s a new attitude on the team, a winning attitude.”

The win against UQAM move the Stingers to 1-3-0, with their next game at Université de Montréal on Sept. 23 at 6:30 p.m.