Hit me up before you go, go

A handful of Montreal music venues and record stores await you to step in and pamper your ears with fierce tunes. This hit list names some that might catch your eye… or, in this case, your music taste. Check them out!La Sala Rossa – 4848 St-Laurent
Whether it’s jazz, breakdance, good ol’ rock ‘n roll, folk, poetry readings, reggae, DJs or even film screenings, La Sala Rossa’s got it all. With its whimsical vintage stage and perfect size pit to dance your shoes off, La Sala guarantees you a hell of a time. Soon to play here are Mudhoney, Color Violeta, and The Necks.

Casa del Popolo – 4873 St-Laurent
Some might say it’s hipster heaven while others agree there are too many mustaches for their taste. But Casa del Popolo offers much more than quirky fashion statements – it gives you a chance to indulge yourself in underground music for fair and affordable prices. Playing soon at Casa is Le Grand Nord, New Apple Taste, and Chad Valley.

Club Soda – 1225 St-Laurent

Plenty of well-known Canadian artists that have secured a spot on today’s music scene, such as The Tragically Hip and Barenaked Ladies, performed for the first time in Montreal at Club Soda. The shows here are a bit pricier, but damn well-worth it! Matisyahu, Mord Fustang, Two Door Cinema Club, and The Planet Smashers will be rocking at Club Soda soon.

Corona Theatre – 2490 Notre-Dame West
Located in the heart of St. Henri, the vintage looking Corona Theatre accommodates phenomenal live performances. Its old-school vibe and vigorous sound quality will make you feel higher than you might be already. Awaited shows include Twin Shadow, Laura Marling, and Girls.

Le Divan Orange – 4234 St-Laurent
Recognized as an important joint for Montreal’s music culture, Le Divan Orange participates actively and ambitiously in the development of music in Quebec. So if you feel like being surrounded by funky orange lighting and sprinkling your night with a bit of local sound, Le Divan might be the right place for you! Soon to perform here are Emma Baxter, Tako Tsubo, and Hobo Outlaws.

Upstairs Jazz Club – 1254 Mackay
If the chill mode kicks in and you just feel like laying back on an elegant wooden chair while smooth jazz notes tickle your ears, Upstairs is waiting for you and your refined music taste. The cozy semi-basement counts with music 52 weeks a year to quench your musical thirst, and delicious drinks to quench your university student thirst.

Record stores hit list

Beatnick Music – 3770 Saint-Denis
CDs or vinyls, old or new, top 40 or under the radar. In this rare and obscure record shop, you’ll find whatever tickles your fancy. Take your pick!

Atom Heart – 364 Sherbrooke East
Offering an exceptional service and an extensive variety of independent rock and electronic music, Atom Heart will make you want to go all out and buy everything off the shelves.

Paul’s Boutique – 112 Mont-Royal East
This charming full-of-personality shop might be small, but what it lacks in size it makes up in fun, personalized service with the owner himself… who is actually named Paul (No shit, Sherlock!) It’s like Alice’s trip to Wonderland minus an LSD trip and up a great selection of rock and punk records and posters.