Major changes coming up for CUSAcorp

When CUSAcorp emerges at the other end of the restructuring process outlined in the bylaw reform package up for adoption at next month’s council meeting, it will be a brand new corporation.
The for-profit arm of the Concordia Student Union is already undergoing changes meant to improve profitability, and increase transparency and accountability, according to a report presented at the Sept. 21 CSU council meeting. Student union VP finance Jordan Lindsay presented the report and will act as VP finance of CUSACorp’s board of directors under the new bylaws.
CUSACorp has already been given the mandate of supporting “innovative student initiatives and [providing] affordable accessible services and goods to students,” the report stated. The corporation generates revenue through its ownership of Reggie’s and by leasing the space next to the bar to Java U.
Under the new reform, the board is made up of five internal and two external positions. The structure of its board of directors will also be re-shuffled, with the position of president removed in favour of that of a chairperson.
The change comes in an effort to limit the board’s power to interfere in the day-to-day operations of the corporation, Lindsay clarified in an interview.
In previous versions of the bylaws, the president had what amounted to absolute authority over the corporation, he said.
“[The bylaws stated that] the president is the decision maker in the organization and can assert his authority over all areas of the business, or something to that effect. It can be misconstrued,” Lindsay explained. “It is [the board’s belief] that a director, someone who should be devising the strategy of an organization, should not be meddling in its day to day operations.”
He added that this time around, the board is looking for a non-student to fill the position of business manager. “[Last year’s bar manager] Marlow Wilson did his job very well but the problem was that the position as it was stated before was a part-time position and was not very well paid,” Lindsay said. “When you are running a bar like this you need to be sometimes there at the oddest hours if problems arise.”
While they have so far interviewed six people, the position remains unfilled. The board is wary of moving too fast in the hiring process, Lindsay said.
Other measures up for approval include hiring an inventory manager and implementing a liquor control system at a cost of $34,000.