City in brief, Oct. 18

CUTV up for fee levy
CUTV Montreal, Concordia’s campus and community television station, will be asking students for an increase in the CSU byelections in November. CUTV is proposing that their fee levy be increased from $0.18 per credit to $0.34 per credit. A petition calling for the fee levy to be added as a referendum question was signed by 720 undergraduate students. The extra $0.16 that CUTV is asking for would go towards improving the station’s programming and services.

ConU putting $450k into Quartier renovations
Concordia will be contributing $450,000 to ongoing renovations in the City of Montreal’s Quartier Concordia project. According to university spokesperson Chris Mota, the money will go towards paying for renovations that directly affect Concordia’s property, including parts of the area in front of the Hall building on De Maisonneuve Blvd. Mota explained that normally the city stops work at the municipal line where their territory ends, but after speaking with the university, the decision was made to work together and repave the sidewalk along De Maisonneuve right up to the Hall building itself.

Province says yes to safe injection sites
The provincial government has begun promoting the creation of drug-injection centres for intravenous drug users in both Montreal and Quebec City as early as next year, after the Supreme Court of Canada ruled unanimously against the federal government’s attempts to shut down a safe injection site in Vancouver. CTV reported last Wednesday that Quebec Health Minister Yves Bolduc has already contacted Cactus Montreal, an existing Montreal-based needle exchange group, as well as a similar group in Quebec City with an interest in collaborating with them to provide government-regulated service to drug users.

Correction: The conference organized by the Islamic Education and Research Academy scheduled for this Friday at Concordia and mentioned in a previous version of this article was cancelled on Oct. 14. The Concordian regrets this error and apologizes for any inconvenience it may have caused.